What is the attraction to street photography?

9 years 7 months ago #399605 by Roger Lang
 I'm trying to understand the connection with street photography.   I have been spending more time shooting cityscapes, so I'm right there often in the thick of things.  I guess I'm struggling to see the appeal too street photography.  I mean I get the whole idea of getting photos of people in their natural form.  Either it's just my inexperience on the subject or I'm completely missing something here.  I know as photographers we all have our areas we enjoy to photograph.  I'd like to hear from those who enjoy street photography and learn what you find interesting about it.  Heck, I'm open to the idea that I'm completely new to street photography and might be missing the idea.   If that being the case, can someone pass on some pointers to get the ball moving? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399608 by Tuscan Muse
For me, street photography is a way of documenting life has it happens.  Street photographers are the historians of humanity, using images instead of words. There are two schools of thought in the street photography genre.  One school says that you must have a human in the image for it to be true street photography. Some do not feel that way and instead would include images without people.  Good images usually telll a story.  Street photography has some of the best stories waiting to be told.  

With street photography there is also the challenge of capturing strangers in an up close and personal way.  So, this type of photography is not for everyone.

Here is an excellent link to some street photography portfolios:

http://121clicks.com/tag/famous-street-photographers

Also, if you have not seen the documentary, Finding Vivian Maier, I recommend it. 
9 years 7 months ago #399671 by The Italian Guy
I like street photography, the challenge for me is that I'm not the most people friendly sort of person.  :rofl:   So approaching people has never been a strong suit for me.  lol

9 years 7 months ago #399696 by Ian Stone
One word: expression

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399717 by Danny Carson
Eh, to each their own.  Some are into portraits, weddings, stock and even yes, taking photos of complete strangers going about their lives on the street. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #399721 by Stealthy Ninja

The Italian Guy wrote: I like street photography, the challenge for me is that I'm not the most people friendly sort of person.  :rofl:   So approaching people has never been a strong suit for me.  lol

What do you mean? Are you doing "natural light portraits that so happen to be on the streets"?  Why do you need to approach people?

To me Street photography is about blending in (being a stealthy ninja if you will), not being noticed, but capturing people in their "native" habitat so to speak. Capturing interesting moments of LIFE in the city. This is why a lot of street photographers use mirrorless/Leica style cameras, to blend in more and be less conspicuous. 

It seems a lot of people don't get this idea, they think it's rude to photograph people on the streets.  That's their subjective opinion and their entitled to it.  To me I love capturing interesting moments and people on the streets.

It's like any sort of photography, some will love it, some won't get it but respect the rights of others to do it, some will be totally against it for whatever reason.  Personally I don't really like macro photography (beyond the occasional messing about taking photos of things), I've owned 4 macro lenses over the years and now I own none, I don't miss it at all.   Same for flower photos, I find them boring and mostly pointless, but some people it's their favourite thing... each to their own.
9 years 7 months ago #399722 by Stealthy Ninja

Ian Stone wrote: One word: expression

Hardly exclusive to street photography though, that could describe nearly every kind of photography.
9 years 7 months ago #399727 by garyrhook
To paraphrase a fictional character, it's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. On our recent trip I captured this one , which I am completely in love with.

I've got a few more that are waiting for attention, too.

In general, most of it bores me to tears, including Vivian Maier. I don't go out specifically to shoot it, but will carry my camera to events and on holiday. I think if it doesn't really connect with you, you shouldn't bother. No point in putting effort into something you're not passionate about.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399841 by Roblane

garyrhook wrote: To paraphrase a fictional character, it's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. On our recent trip I captured this one , which I am completely in love with.

I've got a few more that are waiting for attention, too.

In general, most of it bores me to tears, including Vivian Maier. I don't go out specifically to shoot it, but will carry my camera to events and on holiday. I think if it doesn't really connect with you, you shouldn't bother. No point in putting effort into something you're not passionate about.

One way of putting it

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399994 by Roger Lang
The big question is... how many of you consider yourself hard core street photographers? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024