What is the attraction to street photography?

9 years 6 months ago #399605 by Roger Lang
 I'm trying to understand the connection with street photography.   I have been spending more time shooting cityscapes, so I'm right there often in the thick of things.  I guess I'm struggling to see the appeal too street photography.  I mean I get the whole idea of getting photos of people in their natural form.  Either it's just my inexperience on the subject or I'm completely missing something here.  I know as photographers we all have our areas we enjoy to photograph.  I'd like to hear from those who enjoy street photography and learn what you find interesting about it.  Heck, I'm open to the idea that I'm completely new to street photography and might be missing the idea.   If that being the case, can someone pass on some pointers to get the ball moving? 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399608 by Tuscan Muse
For me, street photography is a way of documenting life has it happens.  Street photographers are the historians of humanity, using images instead of words. There are two schools of thought in the street photography genre.  One school says that you must have a human in the image for it to be true street photography. Some do not feel that way and instead would include images without people.  Good images usually telll a story.  Street photography has some of the best stories waiting to be told.  

With street photography there is also the challenge of capturing strangers in an up close and personal way.  So, this type of photography is not for everyone.

Here is an excellent link to some street photography portfolios:

http://121clicks.com/tag/famous-street-photographers

Also, if you have not seen the documentary, Finding Vivian Maier, I recommend it. 
9 years 6 months ago #399671 by The Italian Guy
I like street photography, the challenge for me is that I'm not the most people friendly sort of person.  :rofl:   So approaching people has never been a strong suit for me.  lol

9 years 6 months ago #399696 by Ian Stone
One word: expression

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399717 by Danny Carson
Eh, to each their own.  Some are into portraits, weddings, stock and even yes, taking photos of complete strangers going about their lives on the street. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #399721 by Stealthy Ninja

The Italian Guy wrote: I like street photography, the challenge for me is that I'm not the most people friendly sort of person.  :rofl:   So approaching people has never been a strong suit for me.  lol

What do you mean? Are you doing "natural light portraits that so happen to be on the streets"?  Why do you need to approach people?

To me Street photography is about blending in (being a stealthy ninja if you will), not being noticed, but capturing people in their "native" habitat so to speak. Capturing interesting moments of LIFE in the city. This is why a lot of street photographers use mirrorless/Leica style cameras, to blend in more and be less conspicuous. 

It seems a lot of people don't get this idea, they think it's rude to photograph people on the streets.  That's their subjective opinion and their entitled to it.  To me I love capturing interesting moments and people on the streets.

It's like any sort of photography, some will love it, some won't get it but respect the rights of others to do it, some will be totally against it for whatever reason.  Personally I don't really like macro photography (beyond the occasional messing about taking photos of things), I've owned 4 macro lenses over the years and now I own none, I don't miss it at all.   Same for flower photos, I find them boring and mostly pointless, but some people it's their favourite thing... each to their own.
9 years 6 months ago #399722 by Stealthy Ninja

Ian Stone wrote: One word: expression

Hardly exclusive to street photography though, that could describe nearly every kind of photography.
9 years 6 months ago #399727 by garyrhook
To paraphrase a fictional character, it's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. On our recent trip I captured this one , which I am completely in love with.

I've got a few more that are waiting for attention, too.

In general, most of it bores me to tears, including Vivian Maier. I don't go out specifically to shoot it, but will carry my camera to events and on holiday. I think if it doesn't really connect with you, you shouldn't bother. No point in putting effort into something you're not passionate about.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399841 by Roblane

garyrhook wrote: To paraphrase a fictional character, it's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. On our recent trip I captured this one , which I am completely in love with.

I've got a few more that are waiting for attention, too.

In general, most of it bores me to tears, including Vivian Maier. I don't go out specifically to shoot it, but will carry my camera to events and on holiday. I think if it doesn't really connect with you, you shouldn't bother. No point in putting effort into something you're not passionate about.

One way of putting it

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399994 by Roger Lang
The big question is... how many of you consider yourself hard core street photographers? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024