Who move from digital to medium format?

9 years 7 months ago #399723 by Thomas S
I have been saving up and would love to jump into a Mamiya or even a Hasselblad.  I have my old D300, so will need to buy all new gear.  I'm not a pro, so this jump will be for a healthy hobbyist addition satisfaction. 

I would like to hear from those that have shot with medium format.  Was it worth it? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399726 by garyrhook
You have a spare $15,000 for a hobby?  Sweet.

In another thread someone pointed out that the 36MP in a D810 was an unforgiving mistress. A medium format will be even more demanding.

That said, I'd love to have a medium format camera I hope someday to get there.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399728 by Thomas S
I have saved up for over 3 years for this camera.  Spare nothing! ;)  Now that I'm getting closer, I'm just checking around to see what others thought.   

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399733 by Scotty

Thomas S wrote: I have saved up for over 3 years for this camera.  Spare nothing! ;)  Now that I'm getting closer, I'm just checking around to see what others thought.   

I've edited blad photos a lot. 

Unless you plan on dropping around 40-50k for an iq280 or a higher end blad, it's not worth it.  You most likely won't see a different unless you're using it high end commercial work, really high end landscape or fashion magazines. 

Most people that shoot with these cameras rent the camera for the shoot as they're too pricey for you get.

I'd say it's not worth it.  One of my buddies has an i280 currently and I don't think he's using it as much as he hoped he would.

Editing the files does take a lot of work, especially in sharpening and micro-contrast.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399810 by One Wish
Would love to one day, but as Scotty brought up, you can spend upwards of $40 to $50k quick on a set up like this.  I would look at buying used so you can stretch those dollars.  www.keh.com

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399862 by Don Fischer
I guess I didn't understand the question. I though the op was talking about digital to med format, ie film. I still have several med format film cameras, just don't use them a lot for several reasons number one being cost! Digital DSLR's are so good and high in resolution I don't think digital med format really has a place. How good can a photo really need to be? How big a print is ever really needed? If you can't get a goof enough photo sticking eight or ten shots from a DSLR together from a camera with 20 pic's, your not gonna get it with anything. People talk about the digital med formats like they are the end all to photography,I don't think so anymore. Film? yea, med format is a lot better than 35mm. digital? i don't think so. Just to much that some people can do putting files together and enhancing them in pp.

9 years 7 months ago #399919 by Joves
Well I cannot really agree with you on that one Don. I have always found MF film to be superior for printing because of its size. Now granted it still has its limitations as does the 35mm due to the films grain. But you can only blowup 35mm so much before its image degrades on paper. I shot mostly 35 because of the convenience of size. Face it dragging around you 645, or Speed is not the easiest.
Now as far as digital I would like the newer Pentax 645SX if I had that much pocket change sitting around. It is really more versatile from what I have been reading. It is more like a really large Dslr much as the 645 was the same for film. Still not your typical walk around camera though. While I would like to have one, I personally cannot justify it, even if I had the cash. I am kind of weird in that way, in that I have to really have a good reason to have something to buy it.

9 years 7 months ago #399963 by Moe
Phase One under my Christmas tree this year wouldn't be too bad

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400024 by Scotty

Don Fischer wrote: I guess I didn't understand the question. I though the op was talking about digital to med format, ie film. I still have several med format film cameras, just don't use them a lot for several reasons number one being cost! Digital DSLR's are so good and high in resolution I don't think digital med format really has a place. How good can a photo really need to be? How big a print is ever really needed? If you can't get a goof enough photo sticking eight or ten shots from a DSLR together from a camera with 20 pic's, your not gonna get it with anything. People talk about the digital med formats like they are the end all to photography,I don't think so anymore. Film? yea, med format is a lot better than 35mm. digital? i don't think so. Just to much that some people can do putting files together and enhancing them in pp.

It is a lot better on digital with med format.  It's just are you going to utilize the strengths of it.  Most will not.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400127 by Randy Shaw

Scotty wrote:

Don Fischer wrote: I guess I didn't understand the question. I though the op was talking about digital to med format, ie film. I still have several med format film cameras, just don't use them a lot for several reasons number one being cost! Digital DSLR's are so good and high in resolution I don't think digital med format really has a place. How good can a photo really need to be? How big a print is ever really needed? If you can't get a goof enough photo sticking eight or ten shots from a DSLR together from a camera with 20 pic's, your not gonna get it with anything. People talk about the digital med formats like they are the end all to photography,I don't think so anymore. Film? yea, med format is a lot better than 35mm. digital? i don't think so. Just to much that some people can do putting files together and enhancing them in pp.

It is a lot better on digital with med format.  It's just are you going to utilize the strengths of it.  Most will not.

I have a friend who shoots high fashion with medium format, he says the same thing all the time

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400188 by Luca
These cameras are worth more than my car!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024