Who has the time to look at all the past photos we have taken?

9 years 7 months ago #401688 by CatherineW
Today was house cleaning day that turned into desktop cleaning day.  What is funny is I'm looking at back up drive after back up drive, there are hundreds of thousands of photos I alone have taken in the last handful of years.  I'm sitting here and thinking about the purpose of these photos, I would say a fraction of a percent of these will be viewed again.  Those photos are in my special folder.  However most of all those past photos, realistically, I'll never view again.  So why do we bother keeping this stuff?  There have been some past threads about to keep or toss.  But seriously, does anyone have the time to sift through so many past photos with purpose?  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #401693 by KCook
I certainly will never have the time (or patience).  But if they are client shots, then you do have an obligation to conserve the images, to some degree.  Even if nobody ever views them.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #401718 by icepics
I agree about photographers needing to keep client photos, but - why do people shoot so much?? I've done sports and events and art photography so I don't have umpteen clients' photos to have to save, but in general people are shooting waaay too many photos.

I'm a film photographer (and shoot digitally too) and those of us that are I think learned to get the photos we wanted in camera. And think about what we're photographing, and look at what we're getting in the viewfinder and not snapping away so much.

You're probably discovering now how much you've been shooting - and how many of those have you actually used? How many shots of anything do you really need to take?

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #401725 by garyrhook

CatherineW wrote: Today was house cleaning day that turned into desktop cleaning day.  What is funny is I'm looking at back up drive after back up drive, there are hundreds of thousands of photos I alone have taken in the last handful of years.  I'm sitting here and thinking about the purpose of these photos, I would say a fraction of a percent of these will be viewed again.  Those photos are in my special folder.  However most of all those past photos, realistically, I'll never view again.  So why do we bother keeping this stuff?  There have been some past threads about to keep or toss.  But seriously, does anyone have the time to sift through so many past photos with purpose?  

Um, that's why you should print them. Or set up a digital photo frame.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #401766 by Eric A
Nope same here, not enough time in the year for that.  But it's peace of mind knowing I have them if I shall ever need to pull something from the past. 

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #401867 by KENT MELTON
Reference only.  I have gone into my storage a few times, but that was for specific family photos I needed for holiday cards.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #401918 by Don Fischer
I delete a lot of stuff. Either shots I didn't like or simply crummy shots. I do have folder's for people I've sold photo's to and I do keep everything I've let them see!

9 years 7 months ago #401937 by Joves
Well I only have about 300, or so gigs of photos, that yes I do look through from time to time. It has taken about 10 years to accumulate that many, and they are all my memories of certain days. Storage is cheap so I do not worry about it. Who knows after I leave the building Like Elvis someone in my family may look through them, and enjoy them. I had many boxes of negatives when I shot film, that was well over 30 years worth that all burned up in a fire. With the negatives I never really looked through them as much as I have with my digital images. Mainly because it is, and was not as convenient to do so. The days I have time is when I lose my internet, and tv from weather. 

9 years 7 months ago #402022 by Kayce
Nor I, I can't even imagine how long it would take to go through all these!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024