Low Cost/ High Res, vs. High Cost / Low Res?

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #402072 by phtstudent
I was looking at some camera bodies online, and noticed that there were some "professional" cameras that cost more than other models of the same brand, but had lower resolution. (e.g. Nikon D4 at 16mp vs D800 at 36mp)

I'm sure there is some kind of reason for the cost difference, but I'm not sure what it is.
Are the Professional cameras with lower megapixels somehow still capable of taking better shots?
If so, what do they do differently?
If not, why do they cost more?

9 years 7 months ago #402084 by Ben Vanderbilt
The D800 is going to be great for landscapes and portraits, not so great with sports or fast moving action shots.  Now the D4 is going to be good for just about anything you can imagine.  The trade off is you don't get the high MP as you get with the D800.  I was surprised when the D4 came out with only 16MP.

What will you be using the camera for?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: phtstudent
9 years 7 months ago #402085 by Ian Stone
I have wondered the same thing.  Just to show that MP isn't the big fish in pond. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402088 by phtstudent
Mostly Landscape, macro, and maybe some portrait.

9 years 7 months ago #402089 by ThatNikonGuy

phtstudent wrote: Mostly Landscape, macro, and maybe some portrait.

Save your money and go with the D800.   What camera body do you have currently?

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402091 by phtstudent

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

I'm currently using a Canon 60D.

9 years 7 months ago #402092 by Sandy Smith Photos
Are you looking to jump brands?  If so have you looked the mirrorless Sony a7R?  That has the 36mp sensor that the D800 has, with out the bulky body size.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402098 by ThatNikonGuy

phtstudent wrote:

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

I have a friend who shoots with that same camera.  How do you like it?

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402102 by effron
Don't fall for the resolution hype. Example, I use a D800 and the venerable D700. The only thing the D800 does exponentially better than the D700 is produce an image that can be printed very large. The 700 has a faster burst rate, sharper shooting hand held (walk around), and produces better handheld macro.  Yes, I use my D800 mostly on a tripod for landscape, and its great for wildlife as it survives a pretty big crop, but the D700 holds its own at seven (?) years old and a "mere" 12 MP! 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402112 by Joves
:agree:
Yep the higher the resolution, the harder the task master. Any flaws in your technique will show up in your images more. I have heard a few complain about their new cameras not producing good images when stepping up to a newer camera, and it is user error pretty much most of the time. I know my D50 was more forgiving than my D300 is.

9 years 7 months ago #402116 by phtstudent

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

phtstudent wrote:

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

I have a friend who shoots with that same camera.  How do you like it?

After upgrading from the XSi, I was very impressed. The only reason I'm thinking of switching is that I want to get as close as I can get to medium format resolution.

9 years 7 months ago #402117 by phtstudent

effron wrote: Don't fall for the resolution hype. Example, I use a D800 and the venerable D700. The only thing the D800 does exponentially better than the D700 is produce an image that can be printed very large. The 700 has a faster burst rate, sharper shooting hand held (walk around), and produces better handheld macro.  Yes, I use my D800 mostly on a tripod for landscape, and its great for wildlife as it survives a pretty big crop, but the D700 holds its own at seven (?) years old and a "mere" 12 MP! 

I can see your point, but I almost always use a tripod anyway.
I'm really looking to get the largest, most prestine image I can for the money.

9 years 7 months ago #402162 by Colorado Mike

phtstudent wrote:

effron wrote: Don't fall for the resolution hype. Example, I use a D800 and the venerable D700. The only thing the D800 does exponentially better than the D700 is produce an image that can be printed very large. The 700 has a faster burst rate, sharper shooting hand held (walk around), and produces better handheld macro.  Yes, I use my D800 mostly on a tripod for landscape, and its great for wildlife as it survives a pretty big crop, but the D700 holds its own at seven (?) years old and a "mere" 12 MP! 

Are you sticking with Canon or going the Nikon route? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402269 by phtstudent

Colorado Mike wrote:

phtstudent wrote:

Are you sticking with Canon or going the Nikon route? 

I haven't decided. At this point, I'll go with whichever will give me the largest, highest resolution image for the money.
I was looking at the Canon 1Ds mkIII, but after comparing specs, I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the D800.

All said and done, I don't have enough money invested in Canon to be too worried about brand loyalty. The only lens I have is the EF-S 18-200mm IS, which I love by the way; but it has so many elements that for me to get the most out of an upgraded body, I'd have to buy an L series lens. That being said, if I'm going to buy a new body and lens in either direction, it would be hard for me to go with a Canon that has 21mp and buy an L lens, rather than get a Nikon that's 36mp with a NIKKOR at roughly the same cost.

The D800 would be about $2000, plus about another $2000 for a Lens, and about $500 for a Speedlite. That's more than I've ever even considered spending on a camera, but compared to a Hasselblad H4D-40, the resolution is about the same at less than half the cost.

And because of crop factor difference, I coul make the D800 with NIKKOR 24-300mm my main camera, and use the 60D with the 18-200mm as a back up prety effectively.

9 years 7 months ago #402333 by Pettigrew
D800 will be a good camera for what you are looking to do

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024