Low Cost/ High Res, vs. High Cost / Low Res?

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #402072 by phtstudent
I was looking at some camera bodies online, and noticed that there were some "professional" cameras that cost more than other models of the same brand, but had lower resolution. (e.g. Nikon D4 at 16mp vs D800 at 36mp)

I'm sure there is some kind of reason for the cost difference, but I'm not sure what it is.
Are the Professional cameras with lower megapixels somehow still capable of taking better shots?
If so, what do they do differently?
If not, why do they cost more?

9 years 6 months ago #402084 by Ben Vanderbilt
The D800 is going to be great for landscapes and portraits, not so great with sports or fast moving action shots.  Now the D4 is going to be good for just about anything you can imagine.  The trade off is you don't get the high MP as you get with the D800.  I was surprised when the D4 came out with only 16MP.

What will you be using the camera for?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: phtstudent
9 years 6 months ago #402085 by Ian Stone
I have wondered the same thing.  Just to show that MP isn't the big fish in pond. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402088 by phtstudent
Mostly Landscape, macro, and maybe some portrait.

9 years 6 months ago #402089 by ThatNikonGuy

phtstudent wrote: Mostly Landscape, macro, and maybe some portrait.

Save your money and go with the D800.   What camera body do you have currently?

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402091 by phtstudent

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

I'm currently using a Canon 60D.

9 years 6 months ago #402092 by Sandy Smith Photos
Are you looking to jump brands?  If so have you looked the mirrorless Sony a7R?  That has the 36mp sensor that the D800 has, with out the bulky body size.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402098 by ThatNikonGuy

phtstudent wrote:

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

I have a friend who shoots with that same camera.  How do you like it?

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402102 by effron
Don't fall for the resolution hype. Example, I use a D800 and the venerable D700. The only thing the D800 does exponentially better than the D700 is produce an image that can be printed very large. The 700 has a faster burst rate, sharper shooting hand held (walk around), and produces better handheld macro.  Yes, I use my D800 mostly on a tripod for landscape, and its great for wildlife as it survives a pretty big crop, but the D700 holds its own at seven (?) years old and a "mere" 12 MP! 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402112 by Joves
:agree:
Yep the higher the resolution, the harder the task master. Any flaws in your technique will show up in your images more. I have heard a few complain about their new cameras not producing good images when stepping up to a newer camera, and it is user error pretty much most of the time. I know my D50 was more forgiving than my D300 is.

9 years 6 months ago #402116 by phtstudent

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

phtstudent wrote:

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

I have a friend who shoots with that same camera.  How do you like it?

After upgrading from the XSi, I was very impressed. The only reason I'm thinking of switching is that I want to get as close as I can get to medium format resolution.

9 years 6 months ago #402117 by phtstudent

effron wrote: Don't fall for the resolution hype. Example, I use a D800 and the venerable D700. The only thing the D800 does exponentially better than the D700 is produce an image that can be printed very large. The 700 has a faster burst rate, sharper shooting hand held (walk around), and produces better handheld macro.  Yes, I use my D800 mostly on a tripod for landscape, and its great for wildlife as it survives a pretty big crop, but the D700 holds its own at seven (?) years old and a "mere" 12 MP! 

I can see your point, but I almost always use a tripod anyway.
I'm really looking to get the largest, most prestine image I can for the money.

9 years 6 months ago #402162 by Colorado Mike

phtstudent wrote:

effron wrote: Don't fall for the resolution hype. Example, I use a D800 and the venerable D700. The only thing the D800 does exponentially better than the D700 is produce an image that can be printed very large. The 700 has a faster burst rate, sharper shooting hand held (walk around), and produces better handheld macro.  Yes, I use my D800 mostly on a tripod for landscape, and its great for wildlife as it survives a pretty big crop, but the D700 holds its own at seven (?) years old and a "mere" 12 MP! 

Are you sticking with Canon or going the Nikon route? 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402269 by phtstudent

Colorado Mike wrote:

phtstudent wrote:

Are you sticking with Canon or going the Nikon route? 

I haven't decided. At this point, I'll go with whichever will give me the largest, highest resolution image for the money.
I was looking at the Canon 1Ds mkIII, but after comparing specs, I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the D800.

All said and done, I don't have enough money invested in Canon to be too worried about brand loyalty. The only lens I have is the EF-S 18-200mm IS, which I love by the way; but it has so many elements that for me to get the most out of an upgraded body, I'd have to buy an L series lens. That being said, if I'm going to buy a new body and lens in either direction, it would be hard for me to go with a Canon that has 21mp and buy an L lens, rather than get a Nikon that's 36mp with a NIKKOR at roughly the same cost.

The D800 would be about $2000, plus about another $2000 for a Lens, and about $500 for a Speedlite. That's more than I've ever even considered spending on a camera, but compared to a Hasselblad H4D-40, the resolution is about the same at less than half the cost.

And because of crop factor difference, I coul make the D800 with NIKKOR 24-300mm my main camera, and use the 60D with the 18-200mm as a back up prety effectively.

9 years 6 months ago #402333 by Pettigrew
D800 will be a good camera for what you are looking to do

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024