Following Other Photographers: A Perspective

9 years 6 months ago #402642 by dunniteowl
I have an account on ViewBug.  We are forumed here as of recently.  So this has been on my mind, lately as I have been on VB since March of 2009.  In that time, as a "free" Lite Member, I have amassed a HUGE following of 287.  I follow 359 other members.  I have managed this for two reasons:  Determination to Improve My Craft and Principle.

I see some photographers "show up" on VB within, say a few months of today's date and they have maybe a hundred or two hundred photos and something like 1300 Followers.  I am amazed.  I am certain that somehow they brought in "followers" from outside somehow, for no other explanation makes any real sense to me.  By the way, I have now, after just over six years of dedicated uploading of my work over 1,700 photos.

So I wonder?  How do you feel about following other photographers?  Do you feel that if you follow someone else, that they should pay out a little "quid pro quo" and follow you as well?  How do you 'generate' in your view or opinion followers to your work?  Do you even care?

I figure it this way.  I joined VB so that I could enter contests in order to gain greater exposure of my efforts to others.  Short and simple.  I really am not that concerned with attracting followers in any real sense, though I recognize that in order for me to gain greater attention, they must show up over time, right?

It is my sincere HOPE that those who follow me do so out of a respect for what they see in my gallery of work.  I HOPE that not all photographers that follow me expect that I should also follow them.  After all, I am a hard grader.  I especially grade myself with a critical eye.  The photos in my gallery are the examples of the growth of me as a photographer as well as a showcase for some of my more experimental efforts with ONLY point and shoot style cameras (they're all I can afford these days.)

I do not believe in the whole 'quid pro quo' concept in photography.  I follow other photographers for several reasons, but none of these reasons include following them so they'll follow me.  Not now, not ever.  The reasons I follow others is that I see something in their work that attracts me personally.  It could be excellent photography skills.  It could be that they are from another part of the world and so provide me a "free" trip through their eyes of their country.  It could be that they are "kindred" spirits, photographically.  Lastly, it could be that they provide so much WOW in their efforts that I cannot help but wonder "HOW do they DO that?"

My overriding passion is photography and it is my hope that someday I'll be able to get a "real" camera (DSLR with interchangeable lenses, an honest to god viewfinder instead of just a backscreen, filters, flashes, lightmetering, celestial mounting (for telescopes and astrophotography) or microscopy as these are all great interests of mine) so that I can continue to expand my reach, increase my skills and gain technical excellence in equipment that will, I have no doubt, allow me to be a better photographer.  I hope that those whom I meet and get to know over time online in the photography forums and websites share this passion, this love, of all things photographic.  Who knows, maybe even one day I'll start actually using Photoshop to make images I simply cannot do In-Camera, which is my principal love and desire in photography -- to capture my images in camera and not use any real editing software.

So now you know where I'm coming from as a photographer.  Do you have any thoughts or opinions on gaining or attracting followers?  What makes you choose to follow another photographer?  Are you a believer in the 'quid pro quo' concept or would you follow others with little to no expectation of being followed in kind?  Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

9 years 6 months ago #402733 by garyrhook
The biggest problem with the VB point system is that you can acquire many points for awarding photographs and favoriting, as well as following others.

The higher tiers allow more involvement, so... get points to move up.

The problem is that so many photos are not worth looking at, much less awarding.

That said....

If someone follows me, I follow them back. I wander through the "Trending" section looking for interesting images but am lucky to fine 1 or 2 per page. I'm trying to be a bit more open for favorites. I'm getting to where i don't just "like" an image, but award it if it's worth my attention. I am going to try to get to Moderator Level and see what that allows me.

If you are happy with the way you're doing things, keep it up. No reason to second guess.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: dunniteowl

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024