Whats the big deal about photographing rail roads?

9 years 6 months ago #402889 by Luca
I was asked to not photograph some train tracks today.  When I asked the guy why, he got huffy puffy with me and said it's the law.  I asked why there weren't any signs saying so, then he asked "are you going to leave or do I need to call the police".  

I left, and now asking you.  Can someone tell me what is the big deal?  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402897 by Don Fischer
if it was someone from the rail co, they can tell you to get off the right of way but I believe that's about it. Doesn't make much sense to me though, the rail co's have never much pushed staying off the right of way.

9 years 6 months ago #402901 by icepics
There should be some info. posted at a crossing - name of a company, an 800 number, etc. You could try to find out what their policies are, but I don't think you're allowed to walk on the tracks so I suppose it depends on where you were standing.

Did it seem like the person worked for the RR (as Don said they could tell you to leave I imagine) or did he live nearby? Were you on public or private property? Don't know who he was and I doubt he was right about taking photos (that would have more to do with usage) but I don't know if you were allowed to be where you were or not. 

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402928 by garyrhook
It's apparently the law: trespassing. And it's a safety issue. The tracks are a private right of way, I believe, in most states, and I believe the feds are involved in their control. If you know the precise extent of the property you could work it, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Next time, don't get caught.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402992 by Tim Dordeck
Knock on wood, I've never been confronted. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403041 by Joves
You do not state where you were standing when you were shooting. The rules are if you are on a crossing, be it road, or sidewalk, you can shoot all you want from that so long as it is clear. IF you step off of that right of way, you are trespassing. If you go on the tracks, or the RR right of way, up to 200ft wide in some places, you are trespassing. But from a public right of way, or crossing go for it. I have done work for Santa Fe before through the company I worked for, and they are strict about their properties. So if you were in the right tell the guy to go, and pound sand. If you were not then listen to them. Also if they are abandoned track, which will be evident by the road being paved over the crossing, have at it. Many of those are being converted into rails to trails in many towns anyhow.

9 years 6 months ago #403079 by Roblane
Railroads are private property, so they can boot you off any time they want

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #403097 by garyrhook
I was scoping out some property today, in preparation for a family shoot, and managed to drive over some tracks on my way there. Suggest you look for unused / retired tracks in the future. They can potentially be more interesting anyway because of the vegetation.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403186 by Moe
just come back later.  lol 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403228 by Stealthy Ninja
9 years 6 months ago #403252 by garyrhook
I am reminded of a bull and a matador, or perhaps the run at Pamplona.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403318 by Roy Wilson
At the end of the day, it's their property and they can tell us what ever they want. 

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403415 by Joves
Here in the US Roy that is not necessarily true. Many times the railroads merely have a perpetual right of way on someones property. That was the case with my families ranch in northern Arizona, and the Santa Fe line going to the Grand Canyon. It took up about 4 acres of our land, and divided our property. They paid the taxes on that land for use, and for the part that we could not get to any longer, that was mainly due to nobody wanting to allow us an easement to get to that side. They used it for unused car storage during the 80's for quite a while, but then decided to give up the right of way, so the land was once again ours. At that point I could have ripped up the tracks, and leveled the road bed, but then a private smaller rail company wanted to use the old line to start train service to the Canyon. So this time they bought it out right. So they merely only have temporary title in many areas.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024