Why can't you use flashes in museums?

9 years 6 months ago #403197 by Ryan711
I enjoy museums and never understood why you can't use flashes?  Why is that? 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #403219 by Stealthy Ninja
people.ds.cam.ac.uk/mhe1000/musphoto/flashphoto2.htm

Multiple possible reasons.
  1. Could be they want you to buy posters and postcards.
  2. They could know flashes bouncing off glass will look stupid.
  3. They could believe that flashes will hurt the artwork (this is usually not true, but this myth continues)
  4. They could not want to disturb the atmosphere/people with flashes going off all the time (personally I think this is the best reason, if I were enjoying some art I'd be mad if someone was shooting of their flash all the time).
  5. They could have already paid for the "No Flash Photography" sign and couldn't be bothered wasting it.
9 years 6 months ago #403234 by Tuscan Muse
There have been tests done that show that flashes do not actually harm the pigment in paintings, but the belief has been held so long that you are not going to get the curators of museums to change their minds. You cannot take a picture of Michelangelo's David.  How in the world would a flash harm marble?   This is true in most museums across the globe.  

One of the main reasons that they don't allow photography in museums at all is to keep the crowds moving.
9 years 6 months ago #403250 by garyrhook
SN's link is a good reference.

Mostly I think it's because of the persistence of the myth of flash. I ran into this in an old victorian house turned museum in Portland, ME. One of the docents in another house said that they allow it during Christmas, and it really slows down pedestrian traffic. So I'll go with #3 and #4. As for selling material, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

The museum here in town allows non-flash photography except for any temporary exhibit. With a good camera and lens that's not a problem.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403316 by Roy Wilson

garyrhook wrote: SN's link is a good reference.

Mostly I think it's because of the persistence of the myth of flash. I ran into this in an old victorian house turned museum in Portland, ME. One of the docents in another house said that they allow it during Christmas, and it really slows down pedestrian traffic. So I'll go with #3 and #4. As for selling material, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

The museum here in town allows non-flash photography except for any temporary exhibit. With a good camera and lens that's not a problem.

:agree:        wishy washy, if you ask me

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403360 by Baydream
I'm going with Ninja's #1 and #4. There is money in those good shots and people are usually there for relaxing views. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403375 by ubookoo

Stealthy Ninja wrote: people.ds.cam.ac.uk/mhe1000/musphoto/flashphoto2.htm

They could have already paid for the "No Flash Photography" sign and couldn't be bothered wasting it.

Too Funny!!

9 years 6 months ago #403377 by Screamin Scott
Copyright protection in some cases....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403401 by Joves
Perhaps the flash will harm works of art got started in the flash powder days. So they just choose to say that is the case. I think it is most likely to not disturb others enjoying the art, and the over all atmosphere. But do you really need a flash if you have one of the newer camera models? This is why the camera Gods created High ISO. :P

9 years 6 months ago #403435 by Ryan Obryan
Copyright?  That's a silly one (not doubting you, just saying).  I thought it was because the light will fade the art.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403443 by garyrhook

Ryan Obryan wrote: Copyright?  That's a silly one (not doubting you, just saying).  I thought it was because the light will fade the art.

Um, no, incorrect.

Copyright applies to more recent works of art, and gives the creator of the piece complete control over what can and can't be done with their work. That's applicable to many a museum. It's not nearly as silly as your statement. Please consider learning about copyright laws here and abroad lest you inadvertently violate them because you think consideration of them "silly".

You might also read the (yes, rather long) article that Stealthy links to. It's a pretty exhaustive investigation into the myth of flash, and very informative (if a bit dry and overly wordy). The light from a flash does not fade the art, and is wholly irrelevant for sculpture and modern art.

It would be nice if the museums would just say, "no flash photography because it's darned annoying to the other patrons." That should be reason enough.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403529 by Foxy Girl
Interesting thread, good to know

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403531 by Ryan Obryan

garyrhook wrote:

Ryan Obryan wrote: Copyright?  That's a silly one (not doubting you, just saying).  I thought it was because the light will fade the art.

Um, no, incorrect.

Copyright applies to more recent works of art, and gives the creator of the piece complete control over what can and can't be done with their work. That's applicable to many a museum. It's not nearly as silly as your statement. Please consider learning about copyright laws here and abroad lest you inadvertently violate them because you think consideration of them "silly".

You might also read the (yes, rather long) article that Stealthy links to. It's a pretty exhaustive investigation into the myth of flash, and very informative (if a bit dry and overly wordy). The light from a flash does not fade the art, and is wholly irrelevant for sculpture and modern art.

It would be nice if the museums would just say, "no flash photography because it's darned annoying to the other patrons." That should be reason enough.

Aren't we delightful. ;)   Your right, using a flash is about retaining copyright.  Because when you don't use flash, it's a completely different story.   :rofl:

I'm not trying to be an a$$, just a few basic thoughts.  I guess it's good that I don't normally go photographing stuff like this.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403584 by ShutterGuy
It's a conspiracy! 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403588 by garyrhook

Ryan Obryan wrote: I'm not trying to be an a$$

Neither am I. I was attempting to add to the discussion aspects that had not heretofore been addressed, to clarify, and provide additional information.

My point about modern art was to emphasize the idea that, if it were really about "fading the paint" there would not be a restriction on using flash to photograph sculpture.  Yet there is. I think the museums (happily) conflate the issue to attempt to explain a position that they should not need to explain. Thus: "Photographic flash annoys other people. Don't do that."

My other point about copyright has to do with it's relevance for newer art, but that's about photorgraphy, period, not just flash. It's an important point, but somewhat orthogonal to the discussion of flash. I read your post (above) and interpreted it as dismissive. If I misunderstood, please forgive me.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024