What to do when you find your image has been stolen?

9 years 7 months ago #403861 by Tim Reeder
I found a local contractor who is using one of my photos on the side of their construction trucks and vans.  Can someone tell me what is the best way to handle this?  I know it's my photo because I sent 3 of my images to them for consideration, which was at their request.  They didn't want to pay my price and said they went with another photographer.  Now 2 months later, I see my photo on their magnetic signs on their trucks. 

What can I do?

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403863 by garyrhook
Ideally you still have documentation of your conversation with them. And of course proof that the image originated with you.

The hard part is figuring out what their use of the image is worth. Try going to a stock image site (Getty, Shutterstock, etc) and price out the use as well as you can match what you see them doing.

Then increase that number to a painful level and approach the company very politely in a written communication (certified letter, return receipt and all that). Spell out the situation clearly, so they know you know what they've done. Then inform them that the license fee after the fact of copyright violation (federal law and all that) for commercial use is (your $$ amount here). You expect payment via cashier's check by (a reasonable date).

Don't start off threatening, simply state the facts. Don't mention lawyers. Don't try to explain the law. Do not try to defend your copyright; it's yours and doesn't require defending. If they claim that you gave them permission to use the image, request documentation of such, and remind them that license for use of copyrighted materials is never implied; it must be specifically granted.

In the meantime, try to find a lawyer that understands copyright law. They don't all do that. There's another thread on here where someone got completely incorrect advice from an (alleged) lawyer.

If they push back, you'll need to point out that they've broken the law, and the courts side with the copyright holders in situations like these. If you're forced to consult a lawyer you will of course be seeking licensing, damages and expenses.

Whether the pain point is something you want to negotiate is up to you, but don't by afraid to stand your ground. They're using your work to make money; that's wrong, and illegal.

Good luck. Please let us know of the outcome so that others can learn.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403868 by ThatNikonGuy
Good post from Gary, take the calm approach, have a plan with multiple scenarios prepared.  This might even be an overlook, that you'll end up getting paid for. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403902 by KENT MELTON
I don't think I could add much more than what Gary said.  That's a good answer.  Bottom line, don't get emotional about it, be professional, and have a thought out plan for this discussion.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403912 by garyrhook
And...  get photographic evidence of their infringing use of your images. I.e. take some shots of their trucks.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403923 by I shoot RAW
Yes plausible it was an overlook.  With all the crooked people out there, I wish I could be optimistic, but sorry to say, that ship has left port long ago.  You've been given some great advice here.  Spend some time putting together a thought out strategy and go for it.  Post up how things turn out, would be interesting to see how they respond to you. 

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404001 by Joves

garyrhook wrote: Ideally you still have documentation of your conversation with them. And of course proof that the image originated with you.

The hard part is figuring out what their use of the image is worth. Try going to a stock image site (Getty, Shutterstock, etc) and price out the use as well as you can match what you see them doing.

Then increase that number to a painful level and approach the company very politely in a written communication (certified letter, return receipt and all that). Spell out the situation clearly, so they know you know what they've done. Then inform them that the license fee after the fact of copyright violation (federal law and all that) for commercial use is (your $$ amount here). You expect payment via cashier's check by (a reasonable date).

Don't start off threatening, simply state the facts. Don't mention lawyers. Don't try to explain the law. Do not try to defend your copyright; it's yours and doesn't require defending. If they claim that you gave them permission to use the image, request documentation of such, and remind them that license for use of copyrighted materials is never implied; it must be specifically granted.

In the meantime, try to find a lawyer that understands copyright law. They don't all do that. There's another thread on here where someone got completely incorrect advice from an (alleged) lawyer.

If they push back, you'll need to point out that they've broken the law, and the courts side with the copyright holders in situations like these. If you're forced to consult a lawyer you will of course be seeking licensing, damages and expenses.

Whether the pain point is something you want to negotiate is up to you, but don't by afraid to stand your ground. They're using your work to make money; that's wrong, and illegal.

Good luck. Please let us know of the outcome so that others can learn.

:goodpost: :agree:
This is the case of getting a Copyright lawyer, and having him handle it. He will need to get some of the evidence from the printer, who will have the file for later printings. I doubt that the contractor was smart enough the actually change the file names before submitting them for printing. This is a clear violation for commercial puposes, and I would bend them over, and use sand as the lube. Good luck.

9 years 6 months ago #404016 by EOS_Fan

garyrhook wrote: And...  get photographic evidence of their infringing use of your images. I.e. take some shots of their trucks.

I was going to say the same thing.  Before you approach them, get some evidence.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404051 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: This is a clear violation for commercial puposes, and I would bend them over, and use sand as the lube. Good luck.

You and sand, dude. :blink:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404056 by icepics
Get some professional information on options on how to resolve this. Try  http://asmp.org or look up PPA. Maybe look at  http://www.pdnonline.com since they cover commercial photography and see if they have anything about dealing with unauthorized use of photos. Consulting with a lawyer would be an option to find out how to proceed.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404067 by Tim Reeder
Talk about support, thanks everyone for your answers!  Now I drove my their location yesterday and none of their trucks were in their parking lot.  I know on the weekends there will be a few of the trucks parked there.  So I'll head back tomorrow to get some photos.  I'll keep you all posted on this.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404201 by Ottis
Keep in mind, don't play the fool card.  After you approach them and they might make an offer to meet in the middle.  What ever it is, go home and sleep on it vs making a decision on the spot.  They are the ones who are wrong and you have the ball in your court.  Stay resilient to getting a fair deal, and make sure you have plenty of time to consider any offer.   Good luck.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404265 by Tim Reeder
Drove by this morning and figures they were there doing something in their trucks.  I waited from a distance and was able to get some zoomed in shots.  These will work, but not as close as I want.  I'll try back later today or tomorrow morning.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404297 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Joves wrote: This is a clear violation for commercial puposes, and I would bend them over, and use sand as the lube. Good luck.

You and sand, dude. :blink:

:rofl:
When it comes to thieves you bet. If they though my price was too high to not use my images, but then stole them, once the lawyers are involved it goes up 10x. That would get me a settlement at up to three times easily.

9 years 6 months ago #404367 by ShutterPal
:agree:   and there is a paradigm shift the size of the Kool aid guy busting through a wall! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024