Tilt shift features built into camera?

9 years 5 months ago #404684 by James Rados
James's out there question of the day.  I don't ask that many potentially out there questions, but I'm going to ask this one regardless.  A few months ago, in one of the discussions I was reading either on another board or here.  Someone made a remark that just struck me.  The original discussion was about tilt shift lenses, and this person responded with why not get a camera that has this feature built into it.  

I don't know why it look me so long to finally register this statement.  But it just hit me this morning.  Either this person was on crack, or my searches are completely wrong.  Because I wasn't finding squat on the subject.  This had me thinking further, do modern cameras play an ambiguous role these days?  Taking on task, that some time ago were only features found in the lens?  For example vibration reduction, a feature that is usually found in the lens it self.  There are cameras that have this feature built into their bodies.  See where I'm going with this? 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404712 by KCook
All view cameras have this, it's part of the definition of a view camera.  Many of the old folding press cameras had a vertical shift.  Dunno how practical it is to get digital backs for these cameras.  Working with a view camera is a privilege.  Ask Ansel Adams.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #404715 by effron
I believe Sony builds vibration control into their bodies, but I could be wrong....:dry:  
I wouldn't have a use for tilt shift.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404719 by Screamin Scott
Olympus, Sony & Pentax cameras have  in body stabilization...Pros & cons to each method.... That said, I don't own any lenses with VR/IS/VC/OS.... My niche is macro & I use a ring light. The short duration of the flash stops all motion (subjects too, which VR doesn't). It also allows me to stop down for more DOF... My non macro shooting either uses fast lenses, a tripod or a flash/speedlight or a combination thereof.... As has already been said, View cameras have the shift/tilt function built in... I doubt they would incorporate it into DSLR's due to limited uses for most people...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404771 by Soccer Mom

effron wrote: I believe Sony builds vibration control into their bodies, but I could be wrong....:dry:  
I wouldn't have a use for tilt shift.

I think that's the Lumix or Panasonic cameras that have this feature.  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404773 by Screamin Scott
Panasonic incorporates their OIS stabilization in their lenses, not in their bodies (unless they have recently changed). I was looking at them when I got my Oly Pen E-P3 (which has OS in the body)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404891 by Joves
To me if it was possible, it would not appeal to me at all. That would be just one more micro mechanical contraption to break, and render your camera useless. On a standard Dslr it would have to be a live view function. With the lens it is straight tilt and shoot, or pretty much one step. The other way is multiple steps, making it more convoluted. Then there would be the would you have to return the sensor back to parallel, or does it reset after you trip the shutter. Which would mean if you want more than one shot, you have to go through it all over again, and again. 
I would rather use a TS, or one of the adapters to get that type of shot. There is something calming about going through the whole process of getting the shot you want, that more technology ruins for me.

9 years 5 months ago #404954 by garyrhook
Good grief, no.

Get a lensbaby or comparable if you really want to do that. The only moving parts I want in my camera are the mirror and the shutter.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #404971 by Shadowfixer1
They are mistaking an in camera filter versus the real thing. I think they are probably referring to the toy filter available in some cameras. Some refer to this as a tilt-shift filter. This is a available in Olympus cameras and others as well. I'm not sure why image stabilization was brought up because that has nothing to do with the question at hand. Olympus cameras have in camera stabilization built into the body so any lens you use is stabilized even if you use another brand such as a Nikon with an adapter.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024