"Kay your camera takes great photos..."

9 years 5 months ago #404793 by Kay Baker
:blink:   Okay, I'm sure we all have heard this many times, where others are presumptuous in their opinion of what goes behind a good photo.  In fact that the camera has in some cases, very little to do with a quality photo.  Well try explaining that to a non-photographer.  

Really though, how do you explain that one to someone?  If you haven't picked up in my tone, this was said to me today.  Yet, again.  :silly:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404801 by ThatNikonGuy
"Why thank you, it does!"  :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404803 by garyrhook
Clearly, there are a number of ways you can go here. One of which is to take it as a compliment and reply with "thank you." They're doing the best they can with their ignorance (i.e. lack of understanding of what's really involved).

You could also just sort of cock your head and stare at them for a moment, then say, innocently, "I don't understand what that means." That would be rather off-putting and would probably result in a lot of back-pedalig and hemming and hawing.

You might simply state, "this particular model is an excellent tool and helps me translate what I see into images. I rather enjoy it using it to do my work."

A lot may depend upon how much you want to tweak someone.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404807 by Randy Shaw
+1 Simple thanks, yes it sure does 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404893 by Joves
I usually just say it helps me to take great photos, and thank them for the compliment.
Or you could.........

9 years 5 months ago #404905 by W Cage

Joves wrote: I usually just say it helps me to take great photos, and thank them for the compliment.
Or you could.........

LMAO!!!  So true

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #404985 by Finn
Ah yes, why it does :rofl:   

Strangely enough, the only time I recall hearing this was when I was just getting started in photography and it was a point and shoot camera.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #405012 by ubookoo
Kind of like telling a carpenter that his hammer builds beautiful houses.

Just say "Thank You" .... and then offer to sell them the camera! :-)

9 years 5 months ago #405059 by Kelly Lambert
Mine does! :nunu: :rofl:

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #405120 by Tim Dordeck

ubookoo wrote: Kind of like telling a carpenter that his hammer builds beautiful houses.

Just say "Thank You" .... and then offer to sell them the camera! :-)

LMAO!!!! 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubookoo
9 years 5 months ago #405221 by Uplander
Some people just don't get it.  Well,if that is what they think, then that is what they will think! 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #405265 by Tuscan Muse
I say, "Thank you.  I taught it everything it knows!"
9 years 5 months ago #405328 by Don Fischer
Only remember it happening one time. I was looking at some enlargement's I'd had done, film days, and some lady looking over my shoulder told me my camera certainly takes nice photo's. I thanked her. She didn't mean to be ignorant! Those same photo's shown to someone that understands photography better probably would have been torn apart, then I'd feel like shite! The lady did me a favor!

9 years 5 months ago #405333 by Joves

ubookoo wrote: Kind of like telling a carpenter that his hammer builds beautiful houses.

:judge:
While I do agree with that analogy to some extent, the problem is that people do not see them as having the same skill set. We know that getting good photos takes skill, the problem is anyone can click a shutter, and take a photograph. With many people they know they know nothing about home building. While they can all use a hammer, they do not know what to do past striking something. Cameras are far too easy to use, it does not mean that they will all produce great images, it just means they are simple to operate to get any photo. And that is why most people do not equate the photo to the photographers skill, as opposed to the equipment.

9 years 5 months ago #405482 by Stealthy Ninja
Go to eat at their house and say at the end: "Your pots and pans make a really nice meal".

Seriously though, when my sister-in-law asking me which camera she should buy to be able to take photos like me, I told her it's the skill of the photographer, not the camera that makes a difference. She understood.

Basically they don't know any better.

Man, my keyboard made a really nice reply didn't it?!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024