Is there a standard focal length for portraits?

9 years 6 months ago #404871 by Shane H
I was reading another photographers FB post this morning and he was talking about a standard focal length for portraits.  I have not heard of this before and can't seem to find a clear answer on this.  

Thoughts anyone?  

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #404873 by hghlndr6
There's not really a standard length but you will have no difficulty finding people who will argue otherwise.  There's a range of lengths that are good for portraits.  The parameters to consider are:

• working distance ... you don't want to be right up in your subject's face as you would be with, say, a 50mm on a full-frame body
• exaggerated perspective -- both too wide angle and too long introduce distortions that aren't pleasing
• depth-of-field --- sure, it's a function of aperture, but also of distance from subject so focal length comes into play
(other things such as bokeh and sharpness are characteristics of a specific lens and not relevant to this discussion)

My go-to lens now is 105, on full-frame.  Way back in the day, I used 135 to good effect.  Many now consider 85mm prime to be the perfect portrait lens and it will work nicely on both full-frame or crop body.  Really, anything from 85 (maybe 50 on a crop body) to 200 will work OK.
9 years 6 months ago #404886 by Joves
:agree:  :goodpost:
Bob nailed it. What the lens range he listed are called normal view lenses, that is they do not introduce distortion. Even a 35mm can be used, but that is too in the face for most people. The 105, and 85 are two nice lengths for portraits.

9 years 6 months ago #404931 by Ted Helm
The only two lenses that I will use for portraits is either a 50mm or 85mm.  Actually that me add some fine print:  80% of the time those are the two 'first grab' portrait lenses.  I'll shot also with a 24-70mm too. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404951 by garyrhook
"Standard" is a lens and distance that does not distort the face and result in a large, misshapen nose. A-la most mobile phone selfies. Typically, as stated above, 85 or 105, but really whatever you find speaks to you and helps you fulfill your vision.

That's not a mobile phone.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405015 by Cathy Kadolph
+1 anything between 85mm and 105mm

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405114 by Tim Dordeck

hghlndr6 wrote: There's not really a standard length but you will have no difficulty finding people who will argue otherwise.  There's a range of lengths that are good for portraits.  The parameters to consider are:

• working distance ... you don't want to be right up in your subject's face as you would be with, say, a 50mm on a full-frame body
• exaggerated perspective -- both too wide angle and too long introduce distortions that aren't pleasing
• depth-of-field --- sure, it's a function of aperture, but also of distance from subject so focal length comes into play
(other things such as bokeh and sharpness are characteristics of a specific lens and not relevant to this discussion)

My go-to lens now is 105, on full-frame.  Way back in the day, I used 135 to good effect.  Many now consider 85mm prime to be the perfect portrait lens and it will work nicely on both full-frame or crop body.  Really, anything from 85 (maybe 50 on a crop body) to 200 will work OK.

:agree:   well said, I don't think this could have been summed up better.   IMO, it's all preference.  Use what works for you and don't buy into gear acquisition hype unless you absolutely need to have something. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405202 by H Rocky
Good old 50mm will be my lucky dog

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405303 by Ben Vanderbilt
My personal favorite is the 85mm, but to each their own. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405382 by Finn

H Rocky wrote: Good old 50mm will be my lucky dog

:judge:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405479 by Stealthy Ninja

Cathy Kadolph wrote: +1 anything between 85mm and 105mm

Anything between 15 and 800mm

It all depends on what style it is and the look you're going for.  Though if you want a typical "portrait", then yeh 85 - 200mm is good.
9 years 6 months ago #405584 by Tim Entin
800mm for a portrait?  From what distance of the moon?   :rofl:

9 years 6 months ago #405600 by hghlndr6

Tim Entin wrote: 800mm for a portrait?  From what distance of the moon?   :rofl:

For clandestine portraiture, it's an essential tool.
9 years 6 months ago #405602 by Joves

hghlndr6 wrote:

Tim Entin wrote: 800mm for a portrait?  From what distance of the moon?   :rofl:

For clandestine portraiture, it's an essential tool.

Or for street shooting in Iraq. :P

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #405664 by Stealthy Ninja

I kinda think you're overestimating the reach of a 800mm lens dude. ;)

Anyway, to prove my point.  F-stoppers did a test of some sort of radio trigger thingy and they used a 800mm lens to shoot this:

Of course people don't usually use 800mm lenses for portraits for monetary or practical reasons, but there's nothing wrong with it.

(source:  fstoppers.com/favorites/fstoppers-nikon-...-and-ac3-review-6144 )

I should have said 1200mm though:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024