Can babies be blinded by a camera flash?

9 years 5 months ago #406250 by Stacy Merrow
I have a client who wants photos of her newborn, but doesn't want me to use a flash because "babies can be blinded by a camera flash".  This is what she told me today.  Is that true?  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #406269 by Joves
I will put it this way, I was the first child in 1958, so there were a bagillion photos of me taken with way harsher flash than we use now. I was not the blind kid on the block, so you have your answer. :P

9 years 5 months ago #406272 by Stacy Merrow
Ok, that's what I thought.  I was Googling and didn't see any cold hard facts saying this was true or not.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #406275 by Joves
If you need more light use a reflector with your flash. That way the un/misinformed mother will not worry. Explain that you need the additional lighting to get the photo.

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #406279 by KCook
I like Jove's answer :evil:

However, at least on forums it's easy to find photographers (never mind parents) who are adamant that flash damages babies eyes.  Rather than fight that fight, try explaining to them that you control your flash with a heavy diffuser, or bounce, or whatever.  Links for more views -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...s-and-newborn-babies

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...y-photos-1-month-old

digital-photography-school.com/photographing-babies/

www.iheartfaces.com/2013/02/newborn-phot...-use-flash-lighting/

littlemoonphotography.com/category/faq/

blinky

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 5 months ago #406312 by icepics
My background is in education/child development with a specialization in birth to three. I haven't seen or read anything about a camera flash damaging a baby's vision.

However - you are a guest in someone's home and it's their child so it's up to them.

A newborn's vision isn't completely developed yet at birth. A baby's sensitivity is more than ours because their bodies are so little; a bright light or a loud noise may seem brighter or noisier to them than it would to us or to an older child. For that reason I probably would not use direct flash because I wouldn't wanted to cause unnecessary discomfort to a baby.

I would not use some of the positioning and wrapping that is shown in some baby photography websites as some do not seem to be appropriate ways to position an infant. The head neck and trunk should be aligned and supported properly. If you use swaddling the blanket needs to be loose enough so it doesn't restrict the baby's leg movement. (If you're going to try it, look up how to swaddle a baby properly; I can post a couple of websites/videos.) It may be best to have the parents hold and handle and position the baby while you take the photos.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #406317 by Stacy Craig
:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #406456 by garyrhook
*sigh* It's difficult to battle ignorance.

Use a reflector at least, but preferably a softbox. Then state, this is what you do and how you work. Perhaps she would be happier with another photographer.

You will find that most photographers get to the point where they say, "this is how I work, and what I do. It's not open to discussion."

As for the flash, the eyes are fully developed at birth; that's why they're so large. The don't grow any more. They are neither more nor less sensitive that anyone else's eyes.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #406494 by digitalpimp
:agree:   Most of these statements that sprout up are from non professionals who don't know any better.  lol  Urban theories.   

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #406535 by Hoss
Just bounce the light or use a softbox

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #406548 by Stacy Merrow
Again thank you all for the comments and advice.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #406563 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: I will put it this way, I was the first child in 1958, so there were a bagillion photos of me taken with way harsher flash than we use now. I was not the blind kid on the block, so you have your answer. :P

:blink:

9 years 5 months ago #407757 by Stacy Merrow
Oh that's funny :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #407787 by icepics
Babies' vision and the distance they can see well is not yet completely developed at birth. And their bodies have a different level of sensitivity/tolerance than ours - that's why things like for example, lead poisoning comes to mind, it can cause damage and delays in development to a baby or toddler; but if we ingested the same amount of lead it most likely wouldn't be that harmful to us. 

There's a difference between family members taking pictures with a p&s on camera flash and the equipment you might be using during what seem to often be lengthy sessions; I don't think it's the flash so much as how you intend to use it. It may not be harmful and you can show or explain what you'd like to do but it's up to them - someone coming in with a camera cannot insist on doing something with their child if the parent says no. 

You'd need to either refer them to finding another photographer or do the session without using a flash. You can't always accommodate everyone's requests and may need to set guidelines but if you state that you need to use a flash and they don't want that then they'll need to find another photographer.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408032 by Rob Cline
Good post  :agree: 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024