Planning VS over planning VS no planning

9 years 6 months ago #406358 by Adam G
I've always been wired as someone who thinks about something, plans what I want to do in my head and then execute VS fly at your seat impromptu style shooting.  I'm almost at a paradigm shift in my life and some of my basic mannerisms will be shifted upside down.  I guess I can say I'm a bit compulsive neurotic and I've been asked to make (try) some changes.    

When you go out to a photo shoot what challenges do you find when no planning is involved.  It's just you your thoughts and trigger happy finger on your shutter.  How are you finding these impromptu moments that make artistry sense?  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406402 by KCook
Lowered expectations.  Instead of "artistry" I settle for "interesting".  Worry about the artistry side later in post.

iconoclast

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #406455 by garyrhook

Adam G wrote: I've always been wired as someone who thinks about something, plans what I want to do in my head and then execute VS fly at your seat impromptu style shooting.  I'm almost at a paradigm shift in my life and some of my basic mannerisms will be shifted upside down.  I guess I can say I'm a bit compulsive neurotic and I've been asked to make (try) some changes.    

When you go out to a photo shoot what challenges do you find when no planning is involved.  It's just you your thoughts and trigger happy finger on your shutter.  How are you finding these impromptu moments that make artistry sense?  

Learn to see. Life happens without your control; it's more interesting to look for what's there rather than trying to control everything.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406500 by digitalpimp

KCook wrote: Lowered expectations.  Instead of "artistry" I settle for "interesting".  Worry about the artistry side later in post.

iconoclast

:agree:     Add a dose of spontaneous 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406793 by Adam G
Good input.  So let me ask you guys, any secrets to see more creatively?  It's tough looking beyond certain habits that have been programmed into you.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406806 by KCook
Any time you stumble onto a scene that does not have clutter, consider it a blessing.  One or two human figures in just the right place is a super blessing.  Don't fuss for the most precise camera settings, just start clicking.  Aperture priority, shutter priority, and Auto ISO are your friends.

nohelp

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #406810 by Don Fischer
I don't plan, I react! Get real comfortable with the basic stuff on your camera.

9 years 6 months ago #406871 by Joves
Planning!!! :rofl: Thats a good one. 
I gave up on planning much of anything when it comes to photography. I tried that route when I was much younger, and ended up mostly disappointed. The most I ever plan on is maybe going to a certain area, beyond that all bets are off.
If you want to see more creatively you might try just sitting back, and watching the light change, and note how as it does the effect changes the subjects as well. That is normally what I do when I am in a mental rut shooting wise. The fact is I carry my camera at those times with no intention of shooting, and many times magically a shot appears out of nowhere. Fact is at my age I have pretty much just come to the point where I do not care if I shoot, or not. I tend to find it keeps me from just randomly shooting things, and my camera is pretty much always with me.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024