When a client post your proofs?

9 years 5 months ago #407065 by Kelly Lambert
What are you all doing about this?  I have it in my contract and also the proofs say 'proofs, don't re-post'.  Yet, every once in a while, a client will do just that and post it onto their Facebook or Instram page.  

Do you even bother to enforce this?  If so, how are you doing this with out ticking off the client for future business?  

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #407088 by garyrhook
Always a tough call, and there's not much you can do from the get-go without using only prints that never leave your sight.

That said, you could try something like

"I'm so happy that you like the proofs and are excited to share your images! However, the proofs are intended for your review only, and sharable versions of your images will be delivered with your final order."

Or some such. I make it clear up front that the customer gets images intended for social media with their order. So far I haven't had to spell it out.

Good luck, and please let us know how things transpire.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubookoo
9 years 5 months ago #407090 by ubookoo
Guys, instead of fighting technology, use it to your advantage!

You can give your client their own app they can share with friends and family and take your company viral. Not only can you control the images they see but your company links and info are on the app as well.

Building an app is quick and easy. Click on our link below.

9 years 5 months ago #407126 by garyrhook

ubookoo wrote: Guys, instead of fighting technology, use it to your advantage!

You can give your client their own app they can share with friends and family and take your company viral. Not only can you control the images they see but your company links and info are on the app as well.

Building an app is quick and easy. Click on our link below.

How does that prevent someone from taking an image? Screen caps on mobile phones are easily done, or someone can just take a picture (I've seen it done!). Suggesting that we embrace technology is all well and fine, but in this particular situation it doesn't seem applicable.

Unless I'm missing something.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #407159 by Joves
How are you marking these proofs? The only way to keep people from sharing these is to put the proof egregiously on the photo. This will take care of all but the stupidest of people. 

9 years 5 months ago #407189 by icepics
That's what I was wondering, how the proofs are marked as such, if it's done in a way that they can't be used easily as-is. Some photographers get the entire payment prior to providing photos. That way you could consider providing proofs and web sized images for social media (since they'd already be paid for) then once they choose from the proofs provide the final images.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #407229 by CatherineW
Not true, I have seen people scan and then clone stamp over such markings 

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #407289 by ubookoo
Garyhook, you are not missing anything because customers will find ways to copy and share images no matter what we do. However as photographers we worry too much about something we cannot control. We need to concentrate on what we can control and use it to our advantage. 

Putting "PROOF" on an image does not stop someone from shooting the image on their iPhone and posting it to their FB page. Also as someone mentioned with a little PS knowledge the "PROOF" becomes "poof" and is gone. We could police our images but that is not only a time drain but is sure to create bad juju with the client even though we are right to do so.

So instead of trying to fight your customers sharing an image, encourage sharing and grow your business and sales by giving your clients their own customized app. Because the app it is all about "them", they will want to share with their friends and family. When they share it with friends and family their contact information is captured to a marketing list for you.

Now because you have a marketing list, you can text specials, promos, coupons, reminders, etc right to each persons cell phone. Best of all, your contact information is a part of the app as well. You will book new business as a result.

See it work for yourself! Use any smartphone to see a grad sample by texting: kristen to: 40691 

You can also jump on our free trial to see all the features.

9 years 5 months ago #407303 by icepics
I don't think a client should be receiving proofs and/or copies of the images for use on social media before paying for them, otherwise I don't see how you'd be getting paid for your work. I know photographers who provide images specifically for social media to their clients, but not until payment's been received.

I said watermark so that at least it isn't easily edited, not that it wouldn't be possible. What's the point of other people using your photos without your name on it?? I was just reading a photographer's site/blog who was talking about the problem of her photos that had been stolen, posted by someone on their site and passed off as their photos - no one would know the photos are hers.

I don't understand not valuing your work enough to do what you can to protect it. What else do we have that we value and would be OK with someone stealing or using without permission? Of course there's a difference between a client using photos you took of them, and someone else stealing your photos and using them in some unauthorized way.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #407404 by ubookoo
+1

9 years 5 months ago #407424 by garyrhook
I don't see using an app for images that aren't paid for, which is really the issue here. I don't have a problem embracing technology where it's sensible, but we're talking about proofs here. Not delivered products. Apples and oranges.

And for what it's worth: I sent the text message, per the suggestion above, and guess what?

That's not an "app".

It's a mobile friendly website. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it's definitely not an app.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #407641 by ubookoo

garyrhook wrote: I don't see using an app for images that aren't paid for, which is really the issue here. I don't have a problem embracing technology where it's sensible, but we're talking about proofs here. Not delivered products. Apples and oranges.

And for what it's worth: I sent the text message, per the suggestion above, and guess what?

That's not an "app".

It's a mobile friendly website. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it's definitely not an app.

I know what you mean about apps. It is not the type of app you download from the apple store, but there are actually several different types of "apps" including, native apps, hybrid apps, web apps, mobile apps, etc. The beauty of this mobile app however is that the client can share it with friends and family as well as either bookmark it or download it to there phone where it appears as an icon along with their other "apps".

I am really glad you checked it out! Pretty cool huh! Plus you can offer each client their own personalized mobile event quickly and easily. All designed to increase your revenue.

I also agree with you that best practice is to collect payment for your work. However, If that wasn't my business model, I would have no issue using the mobile event app to display proof images. I believe it would even work better than paper proofs.

What I would do is upload a very low res image with "PROOF" across it. Low res will still look good on a cell phone screen but if someone uses a screen capture it will not look good when brought into an editing program such as PS to remove the proof watermark. And, it definitely will not enlarge well for a print. Compare that to a paper proof that a customer can shoot with an iPhone and bring into PS! Plus, no printing cost, no waiting for the proof sheet to be returned, etc.

Also, when your client shares their personalized event app with friends and family, and you have your hosting site linked, you now are able to make new sales regardless of where in the country the images are being viewed.

This is just one small example of the power of mobile marketing. In fact PT sees the amazing success photographers are having and created a "Mobile Marketing" article category. Check it out here on PT:  www.photographytalk.com/mobile-marketing  

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelly Lambert

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024