How to approach a well known photographer to become a coach?

9 years 5 months ago #407759 by Adrian Footman
How would you approach a well known photographer to be your coach?  Would you offer them pay at first or....? 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #407766 by ubookoo
When I was starting out, I offered a local wedding photographer to carry his equipment for free. I did this for a few weddings and then he started letting me shoot some of the candids at the reception.

Then after a bit he let me shoot some of the pictures in the church. Then he let me shoot the entire wedding while he was with me and eventually letting me shoot weddings on my own. It took a year and a half but it was the best training I have ever received.

9 years 5 months ago #407788 by icepics
I've found that one opportunity can lead to another, or it's a matter of looking into various opportunities til you find the right one. Taking classes, one online and one in person, I was able to ask for the instructor to take a look at my work beyond class assignments and get some input. I've done sports and had a chance once to talk briefly with a major league team photographer. You could maybe contact the photographer and ask if you can observe a session or shadow them and see if you can develop that into a chance to work with them.

If you don't already I'd have a portfolio or your own website ready for someone to take a look at as they may want to see what you can do.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #407823 by ShutterPal
Just ask them, be upfront and be respectful of their time.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #407838 by Number 7

icepics wrote: I've found that one opportunity can lead to another, or it's a matter of looking into various opportunities til you find the right one. Taking classes, one online and one in person, I was able to ask for the instructor to take a look at my work beyond class assignments and get some input. I've done sports and had a chance once to talk briefly with a major league team photographer. You could maybe contact the photographer and ask if you can observe a session or shadow them and see if you can develop that into a chance to work with them.

If you don't already I'd have a portfolio or your own website ready for someone to take a look at as they may want to see what you can do.

:agree:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #407846 by Stealthy Ninja
I don't get asked much about photography, but I do get asked by many people about video work. It seems there's a lot of people out there who want to "try" doing video stuff for "a bit of fun". Honestly speaking, people don't have time for people with zero experience who they have to train. I usually tell people like this "I'll let you know" or just be honest and say "Sorry, I really don't have need for someone with no experience or skills who I have to train." However, if I sense that the person asking has some skills, I will of course be interested in at least seeing if they can be an asset to me or even better if we can partner in some ways. SO make sure you actually have something to offer before approaching this person. The LAST thing they want is some wannabe-photographer with their first DSLR wanting free experience.

"I have a new DSLR can I shoot with you?" is a terrible approach. ;)

So my first advice is prove you have some skills. Talk to the dude about photography, show them some of your work, if they seem interested (don't force it on them). Then you can go from there.

You can do what ubookoo did and offer your services. Doesn't have to be for free, but that's up to you. There is a perceived value aspect and working for free can make you seem "cheap" but again, that's up to you.

My best advice is to take it slow and don't force yourself on that person. They may have no need for you, or not think you're good enough... heck you might find you don't even like them (I assisted a National Geographic photographer once, I really didn't like him much, though he did ask me back to help the next day...). Take it slow, get to know them a little first. If you hit it off and seem to get along, then go from there.
9 years 5 months ago #407868 by KCook
:agree:  Super post by Stealthy!

"Coach" is a strong word.  Start softly with "watch" or "hang around" or "help out".

shyguy

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 5 months ago #408019 by Finn
I like the idea of playing the slow card.  Might I add, provide value to them, help them and you'll have a greater chance of getting  your foot in their door.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #409470 by Adrian Footman

ubookoo wrote: When I was starting out, I offered a local wedding photographer to carry his equipment for free. I did this for a few weddings and then he started letting me shoot some of the candids at the reception.

Then after a bit he let me shoot some of the pictures in the church. Then he let me shoot the entire wedding while he was with me and eventually letting me shoot weddings on my own. It took a year and a half but it was the best training I have ever received.

How did you approach this photographer originally?  :thx:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024