You ever think about quitting photography?

9 years 6 months ago #408039 by Street Shark
For the last month, my photography business has done horribly.  Business continues to go down the toilet, the phone isn't ringing, and it's just one problem after another.  I'm spending so much time at work and stressing about my next paycheck that my marriage is now on the rocks.  I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #408042 by Roman Omell
Sorry to hear about your challenges. Honestly, not really.  You mind me asking what are you doing to get your business out to new clients?  Advertising?  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #408056 by Street Shark
I have not advertised in some time.  There hasn't been much that I can do to get business.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #408059 by icepics
I'm not sure if you mean you work another job besides having a photography business but I don't think photography is a viable option anymore as a fulltime job/career. I don't know if that many people ever worked fulltime as photographers. But now even those that did are struggling - newspaper photographers have lost jobs, longtime portrait and wedding photographers and studios have lost business, etc. Some of it now is getting undercut by all the people with cameras listing on facebook and craigslist. That might eventually change if people decide they want at least decent quality photos instead of crappy photos for cheap, but now I think you're dealing with a saturated market.

I'd think about looking at what other options you might have and continue photography as a sideline or maybe get back into doing photography at some point in the future. You could see if there's anyplace in your area that offers some type of job and career planning for people who are looking to change careers, or re-enter the workplace, etc. to figure out from your past job experience and skills what might be some options. If photography now is a sideline but is for needed income maybe considering some other type of part time work would be an option til you can figure out if you can redevelop the photography business.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #408067 by effron
If your work is photography in nature, get away and get another job. I burned out back in the seventies after a four year venture. ANYTHING can become tedious, not just "picture takin'". I took it up as a hobby again in the early 00s and now enjoy it more than ever. Don't let it ruin your life!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #408114 by Alex
All good points mentioned already.  Might I add, if you love photography as an occupation, then consider you can not reap what you do not sow.  You have mentioned that you don't advertise and that there hasn't been much you can do to get business.  My friend, there is always something that can be done.  Have you positioned your photography with complimenting products/companies?  Example:  Wedding photographer might cultivate relationships with bakeries, wedding gown stores/rentals, wedding planners, popular wedding venues, etc.  Keep in mind there very likely will be others with the same plan.  So prepare to demonstrate you are the best fit, and that they would benefit from working with you.

I've had the great fortune to interview many of the top photographers from around the world and learn what inspired them, challenges they faced and what fueled them to move forward.  Not only here with elite photographers, but when you study the behavior of the successful and you look at similarities between them.  You start seeing commonalities.  Such as: when faced with adversities, they remain relentless towards their goals and beliefs.  When you factor in what these people are doing, their path in life is congruent with what they absolutely love to do. 

There are a number of quotes that really resonates with me, for sake of this discussion... I'm going to share this one from Rory Vaden who states in his book Take the Stairs "Success is never owned… it's RENTED.  And the RENT is due EVERY DAY!" 

I'm here to help, feel free to PM. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #408127 by Duncan K
Nope, love it to much

9 years 6 months ago #408133 by garyrhook
It's a side job, which I am continuing to develop, and which I expect to carry me into retirement and keep me busy.

Far too many things left to do.  And I'll agree with the above: you may need to revisit what you are doing to market yourself, and what you are focusing on. Time to branch out a bit?

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #408139 by Prago
:agree:     Great thread guys and gals

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408189 by Colorado Mike
Absolutely not, I love everything there is about photography.  It's my zen! 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408192 by Don Granger
There are some very good post in this thread :goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408196 by Street Shark
WOW.  Some of your comments have me thinking about what I have been doing and what I haven't been doing.  Alex you have given me some ideas thank you.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408222 by Joves
Personally this is why I have never done it as a job. This despite having some people over the last 50 plus years saying I should. I have only ever done paid work sporadically for acquaintances, other than that it has always been a hobby. Good luck on applying some of the good advice above, but I think getting a job to keep you through till it takes off would be a good way to take off the stress factor.

9 years 5 months ago #408239 by ShutterPal
Good stuff in this thread.  Personally the answer is no for me, I enjoy taking photos too much!

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408367 by Ben Vanderbilt

Alex wrote: All good points mentioned already.  Might I add, if you love photography as an occupation, then consider you can not reap what you do not sow.  You have mentioned that you don't advertise and that there hasn't been much you can do to get business.  My friend, there is always something that can be done.  Have you positioned your photography with complimenting products/companies?  Example:  Wedding photographer might cultivate relationships with bakeries, wedding gown stores/rentals, wedding planners, popular wedding venues, etc.  Keep in mind there very likely will be others with the same plan.  So prepare to demonstrate you are the best fit, and that they would benefit from working with you.

I've had the great fortune to interview many of the top photographers from around the world and learn what inspired them, challenges they faced and what fueled them to move forward.  Not only here with elite photographers, but when you study the behavior of the successful and you look at similarities between them.  You start seeing commonalities.  Such as: when faced with adversities, they remain relentless towards their goals and beliefs.  When you factor in what these people are doing, their path in life is congruent with what they absolutely love to do. 

There are a number of quotes that really resonates with me, for sake of this discussion... I'm going to share this one from Rory Vaden who states in his book Take the Stairs "Success is never owned… it's RENTED.  And the RENT is due EVERY DAY!" 

I'm here to help, feel free to PM. 

:goodpost:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024