Which car camera rig do you prefer?

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #408785 by CarCameraRig
Hi guys, I need some suggestion from you guys, while shooting a moving car. Which type of Camera rig do you use? Currently I am using Carbon fiber rig.

9 years 5 months ago #408792 by Pettigrew
How are those attached?

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408821 by Scott Klubeck
What are the options?   There looks to be just one in your photos. 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408866 by EOS_Fan
Does the car come with it?  :drool:   I'm loving that red car!  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408871 by Roman Omell
I had one of these rigs a few years ago and what a turd that thing was.  It never was able to get secured to the car good.  The magnets were weak and then when you managed to get it set up, it was for short time before one of the joints gave way.  I guess that serves me right from buying on eBay!  :pinch:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408887 by KenMan
What kind of car is that red one?

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408888 by garyrhook

Scott Klubeck wrote: What are the options?   There looks to be just one in your photos. 

Those are clearly 3 different types of rigs.

Back to the OP....

I don't have a "preference" because I don't do this type of photography. Your first question should be, "does anyone here do live car photography / videography?" I've not seen/heard this mentioned on this forum, so you may be asking in the wrong place. I'd try to figure out, though, which rig allowed me to get the shots that I wanted.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #408892 by Todd Knight
I'd go with the CF one.  I have one that I made from PVC and you feel ever bump!  It was one of those DIY projects.  The crappy part is that mine is only 8' long.  CF would be much lighter and allow you to get that arm out much further.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408894 by TGonzo

Todd Knight wrote: I'd go with the CF one.  I have one that I made from PVC and you feel ever bump!  It was one of those DIY projects.  The crappy part is that mine is only 8' long.  CF would be much lighter and allow you to get that arm out much further.  

No comment!  I built this one (see vid below) and had point and shoot camera on it.  The suction cups I used didn't work and the camera came off the car!  First, I'm glad it wasn't my DSLR that was on it.  Second part, the camera wasn't even mine!  It was my sisters camera. Which I had to replace :silly:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408897 by EOS_Fan
That DIY video cracked me up.  I wouldn't trust anything I built to hold my camera on my car!  Tgonzo, didn't you have a tether on the camera you used?  My brother has one of these rigs.  Actually, I don't know who made it.  But he does photos like this for 4wd trucks.  I've been thinking about doing the same but for motorcycles.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408900 by Todd Knight
I was trying to find the DIY video that I originally watched and found this one.  Forward to 8:38 and watch how this one bumbles around.  Mine is 10X worse!

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408913 by Farestad
Why in the #@$ would you build something like this from PVC?  That has little tensile strength and is going to topple all over the place. Just my 2 cents.   These sort of rigs need something like CF that doesn't flex as much. 

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #408914 by CarCameraRig

Pettigrew wrote: How are those attached?

Here is the automotive rig tutorial. It will help you to show how to attach Camera rig to Car.

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #408915 by CarCameraRig
Hello Roman Omell,

I agree some photographers to face this issue due to quality of products they
use. I will suggest you to go for CF rigs at http://carcamerarig/ 

Roman Omell wrote: I had one of these rigs a few years ago and what a turd that thing was.  It never was able to get secured to the car good.  The magnets were weak and then when you managed to get it set up, it was for short time before one of the joints gave way.  I guess that serves me right from buying on eBay!  :pinch:

9 years 5 months ago #408948 by D Hornick

KenMan wrote: What kind of car is that red one?

Looks like a Ford GT

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024