About super tele and sensor size

9 years 5 months ago #408945 by NicoIa
Yesterday I went hiking in the wonderful Parc du Vercors where we met several groups of ibexes and chamoises. Although I had my 100-400L on my 6D, they were pretty far away and I had the same feeling I often have when I do birding: "Gosh, how I wanted some more reach!"
I started wondering whether a crop sensor would be a better option for my wildlife work. At the same time, I am a happy user of a Lumix GX1 converted to IR. So why not a micro-four thirds mirrorless with a 2x crop factor? I could probably get enough cash to buy a body (e.g., olympus om-d em5) and a 70-300mm by selling my 100-400L and this way I would a setup equivalent to a 600mm 5.6. I was just wondering how bad would the noise be at relatively high iso, for instance 1600-6400 iso? and how well does the af tracking work?
I know that probably everyone at some point would like to have more reach, no matter what the maximum focal length they have, and that I would have better results with a 600mm on my 6D or even better on a 1D series or a 7D mk II. But unfortunately one has to be realistic about budget constraints and I know that I will never be able to afford a 10000$ lens, and I am not sure I would enjoy hiking with it. 
I am all in favour of larger sensors, but I also remember that someone once said that large sensor are always better, unless one is focal-length limited. Besides, I kinda like the idea of using different tools for different purposes. Any thoughts and/or experience to share on that?

9 years 5 months ago #408946 by NicoIa
PS: anyways, I had some keepers yesterday, like this one for instance

9 years 5 months ago #409085 by Superman
What I will say is mirrorless cameras have slower autofocus IMO already, and if you slapping on a 2x converter you are going to now lose 2 stops of performance.  Honestly I would just go with a used older telezoom lens.  Keep an eye on Craigslist, Ebay and even www.keh.com for some good deals on used. 

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409086 by Screamin Scott
The focal length & magnification of a lens won't change, only the angle of view when using crop sensor cameras....Thus a crop sensor camera won't allow a lens a further "reach", all it does is "crop" the size of the image projected onto the sensor...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409102 by KCook

Superman wrote: What I will say is mirrorless cameras have slower autofocus IMO already, and if you slapping on a 2x converter you are going to now lose 2 stops of performance.  Honestly I would just go with a used older telezoom lens.  Keep an eye on Craigslist, Ebay and even www.keh.com for some good deals on used. 

+1

I tried a 2X converter with my PEN, never again.  Barrow a 60D for your lens and see how that goes.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 5 months ago #409178 by NicoIa
Thank you all for your reply but I think you misunderstood what I meant. Never spoke of teleconverters, I was talking about the crop factor. 
What I had in mind was a set up such as GH4 + 100-300, which is equivalent to a 200-600mm in 35mm. Anyone tried that?
Yes, the magnification is the same, but the pixel density is approximately twice as big all other things being equal when compared to an equivalent FoV captured with a full-frame (i.e., what would have taking the shot with a 300mm and crop it to have the same FoV of the FH4). The biggest weakness IMO is the high iso performance: that's always going to be worse than a FF sensor, but how much worse?
And no, apparently autofocus is not that slow ( www.thephoblographer.com/2014/05/27/pana...ound-close-nikon-d4s )

9 years 5 months ago #409188 by Shadowfixer1
I don't agree with the statement that M43 has slower autofocus than other formats. My EM-10 is just as quick or quicker to focus than my Nikon D200. I will say that focus tracking is where M43 falls short. The noise is pretty good for these sensors.
Here is a handheld ISO 6400 shot with a little noise reduction in Lightroom. The EM-1 is better at tracking in the OLY lineup. I can't speak on other brands much.

img\def

I don't have a native lens longer than 150mm for my EM-10 but when I shoot long, I use a Metabones adapter and my Nikon 80-400 lens. The image below was made with that setup. The lion is about 130 feet away if I had to guess. Maybe slightly further.

img\def

Same setup with the 80-400 at about 50 feet.

img\def
9 years 5 months ago #409195 by Screamin Scott
Nice images !!! Which 80-400mm was that Randy ?.... ?   The older or the newer one ? ... I was looking to get a longer tele zoom

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409203 by Shadowfixer1
The older one. It's slow to focus on the Nikon but it can produce some great results in the right situation. Of course it's manual focus on the OLY but the focus peaking helps in that regard. Best results are with it stopped down. On my Nikon, I put it on f-8 and let her rip. The lion was ISO 250 and the orangutan was at ISO 1000. f-stop is a guess using the adapter but DOF preview helps with getting the result you want. I shoot it on Auto ISO on the OLY.
9 years 5 months ago #409214 by Joves

NicoIa wrote: Thank you all for your reply but I think you misunderstood what I meant. Never spoke of teleconverters, I was talking about the crop factor. 
What I had in mind was a set up such as GH4 + 100-300, which is equivalent to a 200-600mm in 35mm. Anyone tried that?
Yes, the magnification is the same, but the pixel density is approximately twice as big all other things being equal when compared to an equivalent FoV captured with a full-frame (i.e., what would have taking the shot with a 300mm and crop it to have the same FoV of the FH4). The biggest weakness IMO is the high iso performance: that's always going to be worse than a FF sensor, but how much worse?
And no, apparently autofocus is not that slow ( www.thephoblographer.com/2014/05/27/pana...ound-close-nikon-d4s )

While yes part of what you say is true. For Nikon at least the increase in MP means you can crop more. But with a high MP cropped sensor you can as well. And since it is cropped already you may gain some benefit. The problem will be with the ISO performance on the upper end. Now you could always go to DP review and use their comparison tool to see how each stacks up side by side. Or even better DxO and use theirs for higher ISO comparison.
When my D300 dies I am not even looking at a crop body as a replacement next time. And I also shoot wild life, that is because I would be able to crop heavily now, as opposed to before. Also the newer bodies allow you to shoot in DX mode even when you have an FX lens attached. So I can still crop the initial image field once if I chose to.

9 years 5 months ago #409456 by NicoIa
Thank you Shadowfixer, this is exactly what I was looking for. Nice shots!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024