Client wants RAW files

9 years 5 months ago #409018 by Ellon
:blink:   I just got home and have an email from client 

"Hey Ellon,

My husband is asking that you give us something called the raw files too.  Can you put these in the mail for me please?

Thank you"

I have responded yet.  Put it in the mail? Like the post office mail?  :rofl:

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #409019 by JeremyS
I will never release my raw files unless they are willing to pay a ridiculous amount :)

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #409024 by garyrhook
I just posted this thread:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/tips-and-t...some-find-of-the-day

Read the referenced article for some help.

Then there's the question of your contractual obligation, which I'm sure doesn't mention any such thing. People are so weird, they think they can just get whatever they want?

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409035 by effron
Have they asked for the camera and lenses yet?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409052 by Vahrenkamp
+1 You won't find to many people who will turn over their RAW files, not at least with out $$$.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409211 by D Hornick
Sure, charge them 300% more for the same images

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409213 by Joves
Tell them you went to the Ken Rockwell School of Photography so you only shoot in Jpeg. 

9 years 5 months ago #409227 by Ellon

Joves wrote: Tell them you went to the Ken Rockwell School of Photography so you only shoot in Jpeg. 

I had to do some Google searches to get this joke! Good one! 

BTW thanks for a the help everyone!

9 years 5 months ago #409372 by Don Granger

Takennnn wrote: I will never release my raw files unless they are willing to pay a ridiculous amount :)

+1 close to my response too

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409389 by Don Fischer
Every thing I have is for sale, it's just a matter of price!

9 years 5 months ago #409448 by Ruby Grace
I couldn't agree more!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409541 by Ben Vanderbilt
Ken Rockwell's blog is entertaining

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409563 by Zorka
Oh no, not unless they are going to pay much more

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409584 by icepics
Maybe they've read/heard something about Raw files being better quality or higher res or whatever and think that's what they need. Explain you provide the finished 'product'.

Specify in your contract what they're paying for so they know what to expect they'll receive, and refer them back to that as needed. Usually photographers don't sell/license their original Raw images often and if they do it's at a high cost. Unless someone is doing work for hire, but that's usually for something like when the photographer is an employee and taking photos is part of their job.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409654 by Orlando Bohland
I never give out, nor sell RAW files.  End of subject for me. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024