How do you determine to keep or delete a photo?

9 years 5 months ago #409564 by Mason Katz
I've noticed I take a ton of photos, but I never delete any.  My new computers hard drive is nearly full and I have only owned in for about 8 months.  Granted storage is pretty cheap, but looking over photos, and looking through all the bad and semi good ones, only to find the good ones (my standards) is a chore.  

I need to find a way to start organizing and deleting some of these.  What is your method?  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409565 by garyrhook
The question in your thread title isn't the same as the last part of your post. I'll answer the post.

Everything goes into Lightroom, sorted by year/activity/date or category/specific/date.

Then I cull. Lightroom has a tool to help you do that, where you can compare mulitple versions of the same shot. You decide which one is worth saving, and which are not, then you mark them for deletion. I use the "x" key to flag (or 'pick') images I don't want to keep.

Then I sort the library by pick, and permanently delete the images that didn't make the cut.

And you know what? I haven't regretted that for a moment yet. I finally purposed earlier this year to get rid of crappy shots because I'm never going to need them. And I have not looked back.

Ask yourself: why are you saving the bad shots? What do you intend to do with them?

As for your title question, I keep the bar high. I don't have time to keep crappy images; I'm too far behind as it is.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409583 by icepics
I usually just delete ones with obvious movement blur etc. and save my originals otherwise. I'm also a film photographer and keep/organize my negatives.

Usually I go thru a set or series of photos and save and label/date/organize them. I might delete anything else I find that isn't good enough to keep.

I'd suggest you think about how much you're shooting and be selective when you're taking pictures. No need to shoot an excessive amount of photos - what would you ever do with them all anyway?

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409629 by effron
I do a couple culls before I move the keepers to a portable HD. I only cull the oof stuff at first, sometimes my tired eyes and mind need refreshing before I make the final culling. Another question for me would be the capacity of your computer. I've been using my current computer six and a half years, over eighteen months with a D800, shoot daily, haven't moved a file in ages and my computer's HD is still nearly half free. Storage is relatively cheap, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409650 by Scott Innes
I rank my photos from 1 to 4, with 1 being the best.  3 and 4's I delete. 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409651 by Don Fischer
First thing I do is look on the back of the camera. If I don't like it there, I'm surely not gonna like the bigger version. Still I have a lot of photo's I don't really care for but some of them do create a memory. I have a nephew that is very very good and he keeps every frame he shoot's. Usually I take several photo's of a subject them later dump all but the one I like best. Mine need to be pretty good right out of the camera because I don't PP worth a darn!

9 years 5 months ago #409685 by Damon
I practice Pareto's principle.  Keep top 20% and toss the remaining 80%.

9 years 5 months ago #409702 by Conner
I keep only about 5%, and store the rest on my cloud storage.  I use the ranking tool in Lightroom. 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409739 by ThatNikonGuy
I only toss the ones that are not sharp, well composed or have people with goofy expressions.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409811 by MYoung

Geospiri wrote:

garyrhook wrote: The question in your thread title isn't the same as the last part of your post. I'll answer the post.

Everything goes into Lightroom, sorted by year/activity/date or category/specific/date.

Then I cull. Lightroom has a tool to help you do that, where you can compare mulitple versions of the same shot. You decide which one is worth saving, and which are not, then you mark them for deletion. I use the "x" key to flag (or 'pick') images I don't want to keep.

Then I sort the library by pick, and permanently delete the images that didn't make the cut.

And you know what? I haven't regretted that for a moment yet. I finally purposed earlier this year to get rid of crappy shots because I'm never going to need them. And I have not looked back.

Ask yourself: why are you saving the bad shots? What do you intend to do with them?

As for your title question, I keep the bar high. I don't have time to keep crappy images; I'm too far behind as it is.

I Agree,  life's too short to sort crap, if a happy snap doesn't grab your eye CUT

+1 it really is that simple.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024