Psychologists Say Taking Too Many Photos Could Be Affecting Your Brain

9 years 5 months ago #410256 by effron

ShutterPal wrote: You see what I mean though?  I does get you thinking about things.  

Not me. You couldn't get me thinking if you hit me on the noggin with a Funk and Wagnalls. I am getting stupider (more stupid?) with every shutter trip, and I of course, care not.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #410270 by EOS_Fan
Well what are your memories worth?  Trade off, to losing the opportunity.  No memories are recorded.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #410281 by KENT MELTON

EOS Man wrote: Good article.  I agree with it.  I've been to many events, birthday parties, weddings, family BBQ's where I had all sorts of photos, but when I slow down and actually think about my involvement, it's almost as an outsider.  My mind was never 100% invested into each of those events.  I was invested in capturing the moments, the photo of someone performing something or showing happyness.  

I think this paradigm, most photographers need to be aware of and try to step out of it from time to time.  

:agree:  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #410375 by Conner
So the big question is, after reading this.  Will you change how much time you are taking photos?

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #410393 by Joves

Conner wrote: So the big question is, after reading this.  Will you change how much time you are taking photos?

:rofl: :beerbang:
Nope!
If I remember correctly this study was posted in here a couple of months ago when it first commented on from another site. First she had very few people that were a part of the study, and second I could never find out whether the people she used were actually photographers, or your average college student. Because this also makes a difference in the outcome.
As John pointed out if I am at some gathering, and happen to be both participating, and shooting, I am not just mindlessly shooting. I shoot something because there was something worth shooting. So I am capturing something, or a moment that most missed. I do not miss a whole lot of what is going on, nor do I ever feel like I am the odd man out.
Now as far as someone shooting say sporting, entertainment, or events for pay. They do not really care about being a part of the whole thing beyond getting the money shots, and getting paid, they would rather be apart from the event. Having any long lasting memories is not really important.
Also I bet that if she used actual photographers to look at some objects, and then photograph others we would have remembered more of them. This is due to the fact I know for me I would have be deciding whether it made a good shot, or not, and how the light played on it, or didn't. So I think the whole premise is cracked.

9 years 5 months ago #410599 by Shane H
I'm going to agree with Joves on this.  Although first glance it makes somewhat sense, but upon closer look, there are back doors to this thought and those doors are wide open. 

9 years 5 months ago #410690 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: If I remember correctly this study was posted in here a couple of months ago when it first commented on from another site. First she had very few people that were a part of the study, and second I could never find out whether the people she used were actually photographers, or your average college student. Because this also makes a difference in the outcome.

This isn't issue for photographers, it's an issue for the masses. Photographers would be the exception, not the rule.

As John pointed out if I am at some gathering, and happen to be both participating, and shooting, I am not just mindlessly shooting. I shoot something because there was something worth shooting. So I am capturing something, or a moment that most missed. I do not miss a whole lot of what is going on, nor do I ever feel like I am the odd man out.

Yeah, but that's you. Does that make your experience average, or exceptional, and how does that compare to the average bozo with a cellphone? It seems pretty evident that a photographer would accurately remember what actually happened. Again, we're not talking about photographers, we're talking about the average person that can put their cellphone down long enough to do the grocery shopping.

Now as far as someone shooting say sporting, entertainment, or events for pay. They do not really care about being a part of the whole thing beyond getting the money shots, and getting paid, they would rather be apart from the event. Having any long lasting memories is not really important.

Again, non sequitor. 

Also I bet that if she used actual photographers to look at some objects, and then photograph others we would have remembered more of them. This is due to the fact I know for me I would have be deciding whether it made a good shot, or not, and how the light played on it, or didn't. So I think the whole premise is cracked.

Because she used average people in her study? I don't think studying whether actual photographers can do their job is in the least bit interesting. So I'll disagree with your assertion, just for the fun of it.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #410855 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Joves wrote: If I remember correctly this study was posted in here a couple of months ago when it first commented on from another site. First she had very few people that were a part of the study, and second I could never find out whether the people she used were actually photographers, or your average college student. Because this also makes a difference in the outcome.

This isn't issue for photographers, it's an issue for the masses. Photographers would be the exception, not the rule.

Yeah, but that's you. Does that make your experience average, or exceptional, and how does that compare to the average bozo with a cellphone? It seems pretty evident that a photographer would accurately remember what actually happened. Again, we're not talking about photographers, we're talking about the average person that can put their cellphone down long enough to do the grocery shopping.

Again, non sequitor. 

Because she used average people in her study? I don't think studying whether actual photographers can do their job is in the least bit interesting. So I'll disagree with your assertion, just for the fun of it.

:rofl:
That is what I expect. But she is making broad sweeping assertions on her own as well, and calling it a fact. That was the problem I had with it when I first read it. So I see her study as being irrelevant to the population as a whole. She just needed to write something to get published to raise her standing in the world of academia.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024