Selling used camera gear: KEH, B&H or Adorama

9 years 4 months ago #410598 by NickSano
Which used department generally offers the most?  I plan on upgrading from D800 to the D810 and if I don't sell on the private market, will look at getting the most I can with one of these companies.   Might even go the trade in route if offered and fair deal.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #410602 by effron
I'd try photo site market places first. I don't know if you've gotten any quotes from those you mentioned, but I doubt you'd be happy with the offering....:(

Edit: and fleabay would be a good place to get burned for your D800.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #410606 by Screamin Scott
None are going to give you as much as you would expect. Best prices can be had on eBay, but be careful though, in who you are dealing with. Post plenty of pics & lots of info so there are no misunderstandings... I have over 525 transactions & only a half dozen "bad" experiences... Make sure you list it as either a "BIN" (buy it now) or if you list it as an auction, have a reserve price which is the least you would accept for it.... Try listing it on different photo groups you are on. Bear in mind that if you join a group strictly to sell something, most members will think something is fishy & not respond to the post...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #410689 by garyrhook
And don't accept offers where the buyer sends an "agent" with a check for more than the amount, and wants change.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #410699 by JD Imagery

garyrhook wrote: And don't accept offers where the buyer sends an "agent" with a check for more than the amount, and wants change.

Are crooks still pulling this one off?  I recall a few years back, that was the hot way to rip people off.  I have a friend who was taken a few years back from over seas scam like this. 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #410737 by garyrhook

JD Imagery wrote:

garyrhook wrote: And don't accept offers where the buyer sends an "agent" with a check for more than the amount, and wants change.

Are crooks still pulling this one off?  I recall a few years back, that was the hot way to rip people off.  I have a friend who was taken a few years back from over seas scam like this. 

I still get offers for "business" deals, etc., on a regular basis.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #411099 by NickSano
 I agree about eBay.  I wasn't always that way, honestly I think eBay has gone down the toilet in recent years.  Any way, thanks for the input everyone. 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #411144 by Oscar Cohen
What would be great is a Lendingtree style platform.  You upload details about what you are selling and all these used retailers send bids to you on what they will pay.  Then you pick the highest.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #411234 by James L
+1 KEH will most likely give you the most

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413255 by HelenOster
If you'd like to send your gear into Adorama for an evaluation, the used department can send you a pre-paid shipping label. You will generally be offered around 70% of the expected resale value as either a trade or check. If you aren't happy with the offer, you can ask for your gear to be shipped right back to you, fully insured. You are most welcome to email me directly: [email protected] if you'd like additional help or support.

Helen Oster
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024