What do you do when you are asked to leave your camera outside?

9 years 4 months ago #412233 by Frost Photography
We went to the Improve comedy club this past Saturday and the bouncer told me that I couldn't have my camera with me.  I told him my car was 7 blocks away and I just won't take any photos with it.  Long story short, it became a big ordeal that resulted in them taking my memory card and giving it back at the end of the show. 

Is this really that much of a problem these days?  Heck, most phone cameras taking great photos these days.  Yet I didn't see a basket at the front door full of iPhones!  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412263 by effron
Its your call. I probably wouldn't have taken my camera, in bag or not, with me in the first place, and I would have NEVER left it in my unattended vehicle. Lately I have a rule, if a place I want to go needs a bouncer or security, I simply find somewhere else to go, but that's just me....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #412297 by garyrhook
Oh, the stupidity.... (of the club/bouncer)

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412346 by ShutterPal
I don't bring my camera when going out on the town, so wouldn't be in that situation to begin with. 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412348 by Joves
Yeah I am with Gary the stupidity of the bouncer, or club owner. I would merely say thank you I will let my Meetup group, and friends know you are not photographer friendly place to go. If I tell someone that I will not shoot any photos, and they treat me like a liar, they do not need me there.  

9 years 4 months ago #412416 by Uplander
 Did you try taking a photo before they told you?  Some of those comedy clubs have strict rules about taking photos of their guest. I would have raised #$% myself.  NO way I would have left or given them my gear. 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412467 by icepics
This is getting to be a more common practice at arenas and venues - I've been seeing it more in sports. In my area there's one arena that will absolutely not let anyone bring a telephoto lens in - people have to take it back to their car or I guess not go to the game.

Most places and events have their policies on their website - look it up before you go or call and find out.

Teams and arena management etc. are protecting their product, team name, player images, etc. I think it's happening more and more because of social media use and where pictures might end up or how they might be used.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024