Is there any need to have more than these 3 lenses?

9 years 4 months ago #412648 by Flying Pig
Unless you shoot wildlife, is there really much need to have more than 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm?  I'm sure this is very subjective.  Let's just say the 80% group.  

What do you think?

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412655 by effron
No need at all....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412657 by KCook
That could be Ok for a full frame body.  Not so much for a crop sensor body.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 4 months ago #412658 by Flash Steven

KCook wrote: That could be Ok for a full frame body.  Not so much for a crop sensor body.

Kelly

Replace the 14-24mm with the 12-24mm  ;)

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412669 by JeremyS
I shoot with a 14-24 50mm and a 70-300mm. It works well for me as a cheaper alt to the trifecta. I don't feel the need for anything other than upgrade to maybe a 85mm or the 24-70 and 70-200.

9 years 4 months ago #412681 by garyrhook
Well, I have a 24-78, a 70-200, a 105 macro. I want an 85 f/1.8 (at least), and then a wide angle.

That makes 5.

And the Tamron 150-600 at some point. For the wildlife.

We'll see where things go after that.

Answer 2: All of the 50 f/1.8 or f/1.4 fans would completely disagree with you.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412782 by Tony Imaging
Gary, any idea how that Tamron compares to the Sigma 150-500mm?

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412814 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412863 by garyrhook
:agree:  Favorably, according to a previous thread on this subject. It led to a certain silent, stoic martial artist-type person using a very large typeface to make his point. I mean, really, really large.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412921 by Roblane
Apples to apples, I would prefer the Sigma over the Tamron.  I think having any glass in your bag is highly opinionated.  Is there a need beyond having a 50mm lens?  Isn't that how this whole thing got started?

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413023 by Foggy
LOL I'll take either or!  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #413048 by garyrhook

Roblane wrote: Is there a need beyond having a 50mm lens?

Um, yes. Not everyone cares for a 50mm focal length for any reason.

Isn't that how this whole thing got started?

Um, no?

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413070 by Stealthy Ninja
Sure, unless you want to get some decent background blur... or shoot macros.
9 years 4 months ago #413208 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Roblane wrote: Is there a need beyond having a 50mm lens?

Um, yes. Not everyone cares for a 50mm focal length for any reason.

Isn't that how this whole thing got started?

Um, no?

:rofl:
The only reason that owning a 50 persists is because it was the most common lens to start with. In fact it was the standard budget kit lens back in the day. Now the standard is some cheaper variable aperture zoom lens.
Yeah the whole thread started with is there any reason to own more than three lenses. Nope not really. But owning more that three certainly gives you a lot more options to get the image you want. While zooms are fine, sometimes they just are not as fun to shoot with in my opinion. I still like to compose with my feet on certain days. My primes are also all manual focus glass as well, something else I really like to do as well.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024