Have you heard of a soft shutter release button?

9 years 4 months ago #413012 by Vladimir
What's a soft shutter release button?  I over heard another photographer talking about one earlier and I have not heard this before.  Is it an actual button on the camera or aftermarket?  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413033 by JeremyS
Its commonly referred to here as quiet mode. I don't know a lot about it however on the D800 you hear a shutter when you compress the shutter button, and you hear the shutter again when you depress it. However the SS stays the same even though you hold the button down long enough. Its no quieter you just don't get that kind of snap snap snap sound. I use it during quiet ceremonies/gatherings where silence is needed.

9 years 4 months ago #413066 by Happy Snapper
:agree:  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413210 by Joves
Yeah Jeremy got it. It is just a mode that cuts down on the mirror slap, and shutter moving. It is only minimally effective.To tell you the truth I do not find any of the shutters to be all that loud, and no I am not deaf. I just have a memory of some of the old Medium Format cameras I have shot with over the years. My Speed was not one you would want to use in a quiet situation.

9 years 4 months ago #413222 by Shadowfixer1

Joves wrote: Yeah Jeremy got it. It is just a mode that cuts down on the mirror slap, and shutter moving. It is only minimally effective.To tell you the truth I do not find any of the shutters to be all that loud, and no I am not deaf. I just have a memory of some of the old Medium Format cameras I have shot with over the years. My Speed was not one you would want to use in a quiet situation.

Sorry folks. You are all wrong. The soft shutter button screws into the shutter release for cameras with old style release buttons. I see them used on Fuji's more than anything else. They have a larger head and it gives you more area for the finger on the release button.  
9 years 4 months ago #413322 by Shadowfixer1
Didn't have time to post example yesterday. Here is a link to just one kind. There are many to choose from.

http://www.amazon.com/Fafada-Shutter-Remotes-Release-Button/dp/B00LPBPJF4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1417024721&sr=8-10&keywords=soft+shutter+button

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024