Photographing lions

9 years 4 months ago #413234 by Tanner Bello
Are there any lion sanctuaries in North America where lions walk freely and not in small zoo like cages?  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413245 by garyrhook
San Diego zoo's Wild Animal Park is the only one I know of.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413258 by ThatNikonGuy
If you want lions, you should head to Africa.  Here in the U.S., other than in zoo's there isn't much of free lions.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413260 by Hassner
You can google game parks in South Africa. 
Some are very expensive 5-star, but even the national game parks are top class.
The Dollar would give you about R11.
Expand your horizons. :)

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413271 by effron
Actually, Mountain Lions prowl all states except Hawaii. They are elusive.  I am glad the African type are caged here in civilization.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413300 by Roger Lang
:agree: there is going to be no substitute for getting into a safari in Africa if you want to photograph lions.  I'm actually looking at doing a trip myself next year.  I had a friend who went to Africa this past spring and they came back with amazing photos.  If you get a good guide, they will get you into the raw country, where the beauty goes untouched by humans and you can get some remarkable wildlife shots.   

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413311 by Ian Stone
Where about's do most visit in Africa anyway?  The country is so huge, are westerners welcomed there?  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #413315 by effron

Ian Stone wrote: Where about's do most visit in Africa anyway?  The country is so huge, are westerners welcomed there?  

Africa is a continent. Some nations are friendly, some not....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #413318 by Don Fischer
San Diego Zoo is a great place. Been there and to the Zoo Park. Zoo Park is in Escondido, really two great place's! Take a full day at least on each.

My nephew has made two photo trip's to Africa. I think he might be setting up trip for an out fitter over there, don't know where it is. He has some 25,000 photo's there. These are all wild free roaming animals.

img\def

img\def

img\def

img\def

9 years 4 months ago #413371 by Joves

garyrhook wrote: San Diego zoo's Wild Animal Park is the only one I know of.

:agree:
Yep that is the only one I know of as well. Though you might try searching the Texas tourist information site. I know they do have some parks, but am unsure if those are parks, or private zoos. I do know they have canned hunts, but I am against those for obvious reasons. It is not hunting.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024