Client not liking photos, any experience?

9 years 3 months ago #415193 by babsiegirl
Hi, I was wondering if any of you pros out there had a client who didn't like the final images you submitted to them. What did you do in such situation?

9 years 3 months ago #415194 by effron
Well, you can reshoot a portrait sitting, but a wedding? You didn't specify, but if this is the first time a client wasn't happy with photos, you are probably new to the PROfession. You aslo didn't mention what they didn't like.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #415202 by garyrhook
Nor did you state why they may have hired you in the first place. Are the images in your usual style? Again, what, specifically, is the customer unhappy about?

Most importantly: are they trying to get out of paying you? Keep tight control on the images, especially online, and don't let them acquire a "good enough" copy without paying. Suggest you take them down immediately, and only show/discuss in person where there are completely under your control.

That said, provide more detail for more input.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #415297 by Joves
I punch them in the face, and say pay up. :beerbang:

But then I do not actually do this for a living, and never would. I like this being a stress free part of my life.

9 years 3 months ago #415359 by Roy Wilson
Offer them a re-shoot of the photos

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #415412 by Happy-pixel
Did they give reason why they didn't like?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #415457 by Kay Baker

Happy-pixel wrote: Did they give reason why they didn't like?

:agree: ask this first, then determine if a re-shoot is needed. Photos just might need a little TLC in post

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #415462 by Stealthy Ninja
I'd love to see the problem photos and hear why they complained. :)
9 years 3 months ago #416592 by babsiegirl
Thank you.. Nope, not a wedding, only just started thinking of taking the plunge and going pro and this is one of the "what if's" I was wondering about.. This and million other things and questions I have!

9 years 3 months ago #416762 by garyrhook
Then allow me to offer a suggestion:

Start practicing now. Find subjects (in whatever area you want to work) and engage them as if they are a paying customer. Get the agreement to be honest with you about their experience, both during and after. Behave as if it's a paying gig, from start to finish, so you can gain experience in how you work with your client, how your sense of humor comes across, whether you are making them comfortable so you can get the shots you want, how quickly you deliver the images, etc. Everything. You will find that this will answer a large number of questions for which experience is the only useful answer.

And if you're not charging someone, and offering up images as compensation for their time and guinea-pig-ness, you can get feedback as to whether your artistic vision satisfies them; or, if not, then why not.

You'll know when you are ready to start charging real money.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024