Client not liking photos, any experience?

9 years 4 months ago #415193 by babsiegirl
Hi, I was wondering if any of you pros out there had a client who didn't like the final images you submitted to them. What did you do in such situation?

9 years 4 months ago #415194 by effron
Well, you can reshoot a portrait sitting, but a wedding? You didn't specify, but if this is the first time a client wasn't happy with photos, you are probably new to the PROfession. You aslo didn't mention what they didn't like.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #415202 by garyrhook
Nor did you state why they may have hired you in the first place. Are the images in your usual style? Again, what, specifically, is the customer unhappy about?

Most importantly: are they trying to get out of paying you? Keep tight control on the images, especially online, and don't let them acquire a "good enough" copy without paying. Suggest you take them down immediately, and only show/discuss in person where there are completely under your control.

That said, provide more detail for more input.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #415297 by Joves
I punch them in the face, and say pay up. :beerbang:

But then I do not actually do this for a living, and never would. I like this being a stress free part of my life.

9 years 4 months ago #415359 by Roy Wilson
Offer them a re-shoot of the photos

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #415412 by Happy-pixel
Did they give reason why they didn't like?

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #415457 by Kay Baker

Happy-pixel wrote: Did they give reason why they didn't like?

:agree: ask this first, then determine if a re-shoot is needed. Photos just might need a little TLC in post

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #415462 by Stealthy Ninja
I'd love to see the problem photos and hear why they complained. :)
9 years 4 months ago #416592 by babsiegirl
Thank you.. Nope, not a wedding, only just started thinking of taking the plunge and going pro and this is one of the "what if's" I was wondering about.. This and million other things and questions I have!

9 years 4 months ago #416762 by garyrhook
Then allow me to offer a suggestion:

Start practicing now. Find subjects (in whatever area you want to work) and engage them as if they are a paying customer. Get the agreement to be honest with you about their experience, both during and after. Behave as if it's a paying gig, from start to finish, so you can gain experience in how you work with your client, how your sense of humor comes across, whether you are making them comfortable so you can get the shots you want, how quickly you deliver the images, etc. Everything. You will find that this will answer a large number of questions for which experience is the only useful answer.

And if you're not charging someone, and offering up images as compensation for their time and guinea-pig-ness, you can get feedback as to whether your artistic vision satisfies them; or, if not, then why not.

You'll know when you are ready to start charging real money.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024