Should B&H be worried about Amazon?

9 years 3 months ago #416024 by KCook
For consumer gear, that war is likely over, won by Amazon.  Dunno about the high end pro gear.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 months ago #416031 by Happy Snapper

KCook wrote: For consumer gear, that war is likely over, won by Amazon.  Dunno about the high end pro gear.

Kelly

Does it really make any difference?  A win is a win, I don't see any partial wins on this battle field. 

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416042 by Joves
I am not much of an Amazon user myself. At least with Nikon they both have to stay within the pricing structure. I still buy from B&H, and KEH for used over looking on Amazon. I trust them more for some reason. But then I am not much for going to Wal-Fart for a lot of things either, and I still buy mostly American made goods when I can.

9 years 3 months ago #416051 by effron
There are many B&Ms that have already felt the Amazon factor, I don't believe stores like Adorama and B&H are affected as much if at all. I'm going to venture a guess that those mentioned sellers have a solid bottom line, and they long ago discovered the niche market. No photography based seller is going to make a living selling camera bodies alone, and the successful stores know it. I wouldn't worry too much about B&H......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416064 by Screamin Scott
H likely advertises on Amazon.... Many retailers have a presence there...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416065 by JeremyS
I have a love hate relationship with amazon... I bought my tripod direct from Manfrotto on amazon and it came with a 10 year warranty. When the tripod needed to be repaired, manfrotto declined my request and saying it would cost almost 100$ to repair my tripod because of the fact I bought my tripod on amazon. 

I never buy anything worth any amount of money on amazon anymore. 

Amazon to me has the market for small/consumer items but I think there will always be a market for smaller shops to carry high end pro stuff. 

9 years 3 months ago #416079 by Tim Chiang
If it's available with Prime, I order on Amazon 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416090 by garyrhook
My first Roku died almost right away. Having bought it from Amazon, Roku tech support declined to assist in any way. I had to return it to Amazon (which I could) and bought one directly from Roku. Still a crappy product, but at least I get support now.

Amazon has its place, but mostly for little stuff.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416180 by Little Kate
Do you think if you had purchased that Roku from B&H that the customer service for the device would have been difference from what you experienced with Amazon?  I personally like both companies.  There are things that I will buy from Amazon, just because I get free shipping.  Then  on the other hand, there are things I'll pick up from B&H, assuming their prices are close to being the least.  

Back to the OP question, I thinking any company sharing the same space should be aware and concerned of any competition.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416192 by Orlando Bohland
:goodpost:   Amazon is a fierce competitor 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416300 by Jessy Page
How much income did Amazon pull in this year vs B&H? I'd bet that number equals what B&H, Adorama and Samy's made in the year.  That makes them a serious threat. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416308 by garyrhook

Little Kate wrote: Do you think if you had purchased that Roku from B&H that the customer service for the device would have been difference from what you experienced with Amazon? 

I don't know. I would figure a warranty and support would come from the manufacturer unless otherwise stated. If Roku doesn't want to support products sold through other channels they should require them to be branded differently, or the seller should state that problems/returns are addressed by the seller.

IMO, of course.

My point, to clarify, was to second the tripod story by takennn. Either a product has a warrenty or it does not. If a manufacturer wants to limit coverage based on seller, that's okay. Just be up front about it. And back to the OP, there's almost always a market for good customer service.

Again, IMO.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416398 by Joves

Jessy Page wrote: How much income did Amazon pull in this year vs B&H? I'd bet that number equals what B&H, Adorama and Samy's made in the year.  That makes them a serious threat. 

Yes but that is due to the fact that the three mentioned sell in a niche market, as where Amazoo sells everything. So yes Amazoo will rake in more per quarter/annually. 

9 years 3 months ago #416408 by David Hutnik
:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416443 by Nancy Hait
And that's what makes them a major threat.  Amazon isn't limited to a tight profit margin photography industry only.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024