Nikon VR vs Canon IS

9 years 3 months ago #416181 by Adam Nagle
So, I've been trying to find out which is more reliable and overall better.  Opinions are flowing throughout a Google search. What I'm looking for is a third party test that is actually done by pro's with instruments to track the results of the test vs someone hand holding each camera in the field and making an observation.  

My wife wants to get into photography and we are tying to figure out what platform she will go with.  And this time around, I'm spending a lot more time researching things before jumping onto a brand/camera. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416200 by Joves
www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare
To me it does not get anymore objective than here. Just do some side by sides on the stabilized lenses. For the most part there is very little difference performance wise with the image stabilizers, because all manufacturers have really become good at utilizing it. Everything now is much like other aspects of the technology are becoming incremental improvements over all. The only wow factor is what the ad departments say they are. 
Personally unless I was changing systems, I would get her a nice Nikon. If she went with say Canon then you have a problem when it comes to buying lenses, and such. It becomes who gets the new goodies for their camera. Or this was the case when I had a g/f that shot as well. I shot Pentax at the time, and she was shooting Olympus if I remember right, could have been Canon, but it was not important to me. She thought I should have shot her system either way, and I was happy with mine. That and you can both share the joy of new Nikon goodies. :P

9 years 3 months ago #416220 by effron
I'm betting no matter what "scientific proof" you find, you'd NEVER be able to see a difference in the actual performance. I shoot Nikon of course, but doubt Canon leaves anything on the table. Pick a brand and shoot, and stop fretting.....:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416233 by EOS_Fan

effron wrote: I'm betting no matter what "scientific proof" you find, you'd NEVER be able to see a difference in the actual performance. I shoot Nikon of course, but doubt Canon leaves anything on the table. Pick a brand and shoot, and stop fretting.....:whistle:

I was going to say the same thing.  Good post.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #416262 by Stealthy Ninja
Canon IS is about a million times better than Nikon. You can trust me, I'm a totally non-bias Canon user who used Nikon before.

effron is right. In real life there's no noticeable difference, they both do a good job. The only slight (and I mean slight) difference I've noticed is Canon's 100 2.8L IS macro lens has better IS than Nikon's 105mm 2.8 VR macro, when shooting in macro mode that is.

The Canon lens' IS will work slightly in macro mode whereas the Nikon version doesn't make much of a difference.

Here's what I'm going on about:
9 years 3 months ago #416299 by Don Granger
:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416310 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Canon IS is about a million times better than Nikon. You can trust me, I'm a totally non-bias Canon user who used Nikon before.

Million times better? I don't think so. Arguably better? Perhaps. Ah, hyperbole.

Neither make up for bad technique (speaking from experience).

Seems to me that it's important to make a decision based on all of the factors, not the least of which is, does the camera feel good in your hand? Does the device make sense? Does it have the features you require?  Turns out the OP can't answer some of those questions.

Image stabilization is very nice, but not everything.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416620 by Glen Mosley
Million times better and non-bias?  This deserves to go in that Oxymoron thread in the off topic section here.   :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416818 by KENT MELTON
I agree, I'd bet you would need some fancy computer program to determine the difference between the two.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416820 by Stealthy Ninja

KENT MELTON wrote: I agree, I'd bet you would need some fancy computer program to determine the difference between the two.  

Like photoshop.
9 years 3 months ago #416888 by effron

Glen Mosley wrote: Million times better and non-bias?  This deserves to go in that Oxymoron thread in the off topic section here.   :rofl:

Why so serious?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #417092 by Glen Mosley

effron wrote:

Glen Mosley wrote: Million times better and non-bias?  This deserves to go in that Oxymoron thread in the off topic section here.   :rofl:

Why so serious?

I wasn't :silly:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #417100 by Screamin Scott
When it comes to macro, even the literature supplied with the OEM macro lenses will tell you that both AF & stabilization become less effective the closer you get to life size. That said, I do believe I have read where the newest Canon IS is better. Those said, I don't use either AF or stabilization with my macro shooting. Nor do I use a tripod (unless I'm doing a stacked shot). I use all manual settings & a ring light on my older manual focus macro lens. The short duration of the flash allows one to stop down for maximum DOF as well as the short duration of the flash stopping any motion, be it mine or my subjects. If I want some ambient light on the scene, it's just a matter of opening up the aperture a little..... I have 7 different macro lenses, 5 MF versions & 2 AF versions ranging from 55mm to 180mm in focal length, but my go to is an older 105mm F2.8 macro from the mid 1980's...Yeah, you can use many of the 90-105mm lenses as "Portrait" lenses as well, but since I also have an 85mm F1.8, why would I ?
    As to the OP's question, I'd agree that they should stick with the same brand as they have now (unless they are dissatisfied for whatever reason). That way they can share lenses & accessories (provided they get a Nikon DSLR that will meter with any older lenses they may have that don't have a built in focus motor. Personally, I only have one stabilized lens, an 80-400mm Nikkor.... It really only helps when you encounter low light situation & is better with longer lenses...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #417107 by smallsampl
And we still wait for a fact-based, objective answer.  Good luck with that!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024