What constitutes a photo being a 'photograph' vs it just being a 'snapshot'

9 years 4 months ago #416507 by KenMan
You surf enough photo sites and you see a blend of terms getting used.  What I would like to know is what separates a photo from being a photograph vs snapshot?  Snapshot seems like it might be something fired off quick, but some comments and post that I have read would suggest that isn't correct.  Same goes for the term photograph.  

It seems many terms in photography are very ambiguous.  I might be wrong, it's just an observation.    

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416509 by ThatNikonGuy
How I see it, snapshots ARE photographs, it's the other direction the sloop get's slippery.  I don't see all "photograph's" falling into the snapshot bucket. Obviously some do, and some don't.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416524 by ubookoo
It is kind of like asking "when does a painting become a work of art".

My feeling is that although there are "rules" to follow in shooting a "professional" image (posing, thirds, lighting, exposure, etc) the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" could never be more true when it comes to photography.

For example, I have seen some true snapshots that I love and also have seen some professional images that are technically correct that did nothing for me.

For me, the final determining factor is whether I feel a connection to the image regardless of the lighting, posing, exposure, etc.

So....having said all that, in answer to your question...I have no idea. :-)

9 years 4 months ago #416532 by Joves
Well you are correct in that it is a term that is over used, and not in a good way. Yes both are photographs in the purest form in that they are an artificial image of something in real life. Most people use it to describe a shot that appears to have no form, or forethought put into it, hence just a snapshot. It is akin to the selfie, which is also a photograph, but is just another snapshot. There is nothing wrong with snaps,I do them all the time when all I want is a quick memory jolt for something I might want to get back to at a different time. They are poorly exposed for the most part, mainly because I was there at the wrong time of day, or I had somewhere else to be that prevented me from being able to get it right. But those are not anything I would display a my work. So you either have fine photography, snaps, or anything in between. 

9 years 4 months ago #416547 by John Landolfi
The term"snapshot" seems to be used in a derogatory sense, to indicate that a shot was taken without much thought to basic values, as ubookoo says. At the opposite end of the "scale" would be the sort of shot that involves a tripod, a choice of lens, perhaps several exposure readings, and much thought of fundamentals. In fact, it ought to denote what it literally means: a shot snapped quickly, on the fly. There are many examples of street photography that fit that description, and are widely considered masterpieces (you know the list...). The difference is probably just experience and skill that allows a snap to be a great image.
Easier to shoot snaps now...in the manual days, hyperfocal focusing was essential, and film speed often an issue.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416607 by Ben Vanderbilt
:agree:     

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416637 by Roblane
Snapshot is more of a quick on the fly shot.  Photograph is something with more thought into it. 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416650 by Stealthy Ninja
I dunno, but it kinda irks me when a client says "Just take some snaps of XYZ" when I'm getting paid $150USD a hour.
9 years 4 months ago #416651 by hghlndr6
Hah!  If someone's paying me, he can call it whatever he wants.  :)
9 years 4 months ago #416657 by effron

hghlndr6 wrote: Hah!  If someone's paying me, he can call it whatever he wants.  :)

Ditto that....:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416755 by Joves

effron wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote: Hah!  If someone's paying me, he can call it whatever he wants.  :)

:rofl:
Add me to that list. I will even go into Instamatic mode for them if they want snapshots.

9 years 4 months ago #416815 by Josh Jofoto

John Landolfi wrote: The term"snapshot" seems to be used in a derogatory sense, to indicate that a shot was taken without much thought to basic values, as ubookoo says. At the opposite end of the "scale" would be the sort of shot that involves a tripod, a choice of lens, perhaps several exposure readings, and much thought of fundamentals. In fact, it ought to denote what it literally means: a shot snapped quickly, on the fly. There are many examples of street photography that fit that description, and are widely considered masterpieces (you know the list...). The difference is probably just experience and skill that allows a snap to be a great image.
Easier to shoot snaps now...in the manual days, hyperfocal focusing was essential, and film speed often an issue.

Good answer John

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
9 years 4 months ago #416819 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:

effron wrote:

:rofl:
Add me to that list. I will even go into Instamatic mode for them if they want snapshots.

You guys have no pride. :P

I won't complain or anything, just irks me.  Honestly if they ask me to "take some snaps" I think "Well then I don't need to put much effort in then."
9 years 3 months ago #416961 by GWS

I got a good chuckle from this!  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #417099 by KenMan
Well this turned out to be a good thread. Insightful, thanks everyone. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024