Clients who want all the photos you took

9 years 4 months ago #416613 by Stacy Craig
OMG what a long day.  I'm ready to all it quits after this forum post.  Every so often, I'll get a baby shower, newborn or even wedding client who wants all the photos I took during their event.  Now I don't know about you all, but all my shots are far from being good.  I have some that just from a composition standpoint fail, blurry, not exposed properly and so forth.  Personally I don't feel good about showing all my crappy shots and feel this would potentially be bad for my business. 

I've not given in and have had some clients who tried to be very persuasive about getting these.  What is your take on this?  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416621 by effron
What does the contract spell out?.....:dry:
I wouldn't let them even see them all, btw....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416626 by Shadowfixer1
Never let the client see them all.
9 years 4 months ago #416627 by icepics
I think people sometimes ask for something they've read or heard about, and if you talk to them you might be able to help them figure out or understand some other options. Like that maybe they think they should ask for the Raw images, or copyright, or lately it seems to be, wanting all the pictures.

I think it takes finding out what they really want, maybe it's a high res good quality photo, or a print release. Maybe ask more about what they need, because why would anyone really need so many photos? Is there someone particular they wanted a picture of and don't see one of that person? Is there something they thought they saw you photographing and they don't see that picture?

It does sound though like maybe you need to bring up your skill level so that you'll have the ability to take professional quality pictures on a consistent basis. Then you won't have to worry about being able to provide what clients want. I've been a photographer for a long time and not that I don't still get some duds but most of my pictures are good so I don't have a concern about not being able to get the pictures I need. 

I've also worked with people (in non-photography related work) and no matter how good you are I think sometime we all deal with someone not happy about something. It might be their own issues more than real dissatisfaction with your work but I think it takes developing skills in working with people when they don't seem satisfied and learning how to resolve the issues. You might need to think about what it is that you still need to learn and how you can do that.

But I would get in your contracts specifically what will be provided, so they know ahead of time they will be receiving a certain quantity of photos and that what you provide is the finished product (and be polite and professional yet firm on that).

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416667 by Roy Wilson
Your on the right path.  Give them only the photos that you feel comfortable with and that are outlined in the contract.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416723 by Janos
Heck no.  No further discussion needed

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #416750 by garyrhook
:agree:  with all of the above.

You present what you want to present. The only response to the inquiry (persuasive or not) is, "I only present work that I am satisfied with. My bar is very high, and I prefer to keep it there. I hope you can see why it's really not open to discussion."

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416756 by Joves

garyrhook wrote: :agree:  with all of the above.

You present what you want to present. The only response to the inquiry (persuasive or not) is, "I only present work that I am satisfied with. My bar is very high, and I prefer to keep it there. I hope you can see why it's really not open to discussion."

:agree:
I also agree with the above. Do you delete your stinkers? If you do then tell them this is all of the photos I have. You technically are not lying since you deleted the bad ones. :evil:

9 years 4 months ago #416761 by garyrhook
I got $0.02 more here.

One of the great things about being a photographer is pulling the "I'm an artist" card, and taking the position that you can define the way you work, here's what you offer (you do clearly define what you offer and deliver to the customer, right?) and most importantly, here's what you don't do. If the client doesn't agree, they're not your customer. Move along.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416807 by Jessa Layton
Good stuff  here

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417297 by Gammill
I'm going to agree with Gary on this one.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417301 by stuartsbarbie
I am going to throw my 4cents in here.  As a photographer, I only want people to see my best work.  I would not give my crappy work to anyone.

Having said that, as a mother, I want every little picture ever taken of my kids.  I have just spent a month going through all the pics of my kids (27 and 31 years old) to put on DVDs.  I had to cut out hundreds of pictures because they were dark, fuzzy, butt shots, back of the head shots etc.  It was very difficult to shred all those pictures. 

When dealing with new mothers or parents in general, just try to explain you know they want every little thing having to do with their kids, but you want to present only those photos that will give them the best memories in years to come.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417311 by Don Fischer
Some where around here I have a book on photography and the writer, he's a pro but I don't remember his name. He was talking about different contract's and one option he mentioned was to give the client everything including the copy right on them. Of course I'm sure that cost more. That was film days and then you didn't hide anything in a deal like that.  If I were doing pro stuff I would definitely delete what ever I didn't care for. After that, if they are willing to pay the bill I think it would be fine with me.

The book was written in the film days and pretty hard to delete those photo's!

9 years 4 months ago #417834 by Jessa Layton

stuartsbarbie wrote: I am going to throw my 4cents in here.  As a photographer, I only want people to see my best work.  I would not give my crappy work to anyone.

Having said that, as a mother, I want every little picture ever taken of my kids.  I have just spent a month going through all the pics of my kids (27 and 31 years old) to put on DVDs.  I had to cut out hundreds of pictures because they were dark, fuzzy, butt shots, back of the head shots etc.  It was very difficult to shred all those pictures. 

When dealing with new mothers or parents in general, just try to explain you know they want every little thing having to do with their kids, but you want to present only those photos that will give them the best memories in years to come.

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417913 by Scott Klubeck
Only if they want them in RAW format would I consider this.  :huh:

:rofl:   Just kidding!  Not a chance.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024