Thoughts on profit margin regarding pre-owned camera gear?

9 years 3 months ago #416774 by Garbo
2015 I have some new goals.  One includes getting some new gear.  So I've been getting some quotes from some used camera dealers and pretty shocked with just how low their bids are.  This has me wondering just how high their profit margins must be.   Who have you been selling your gear too?  

I'm not going to mention who my quotes came from as I want to see what most of you have to say about this.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #416779 by Screamin Scott
The better prices are going to come from the more in demand gear, be it camera bodies or lenses...Price depends on the gear condition & the demand for it in the marketplace.... I have sold some gear & didn't get much for it as the demand for it wasn't there...Plus the resellers have to make a profit ...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416792 by Garbo
We are talking my D300 and a few lenses.  Last I checked, their prices of what they are selling the same gear was nearly 75% higher than what they offered for my gear.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416793 by JeremyS
Garbo, if you live on the east coast of Canada, there is a facebook group which includes the majority of all professional photogs in the atlantic region. If this is where you are located and you are interested, shoot me a message and I can hook you up. The best place for prices is going to likely come from other photographers and not companies looking to make some cash off of you. 

9 years 3 months ago #416890 by effron
There is a little used marketplace at this site, where you would (might) get your best value, but even then don't expect too much. I would advise KEEP IT, and have life pixel convert for IR......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #416912 by garyrhook

Garbo wrote: 2015 I have some new goals.  One includes getting some new gear.  So I've been getting some quotes from some used camera dealers and pretty shocked with just how low their bids are.  This has me wondering just how high their profit margins must be.   Who have you been selling your gear too? 

Speaking in general terms...

Camera gear is an expense, not an investment. By selling used gear you can recover some of the cost, but there really is no profit to be had.

Additionally, the sale of gear falls into two categories: a private sale, and a sale to a reseller. Like an automobile, you will garner the most from a private sale should you find a willing buyer.

I think that your best bet is to research current sale prices for used equipment (eBay is helpful here) and set your price accordingly. Do you want every penny you can squeeze out of it, or do you want a quick sale? You can try selling on eBay (despite opinions frequently shared about eBay, it can be an effective marketplace for a wise seller and buyer), list on CL (again, be wise here), or advertise on forums such as PT.

If you want to sell to a reseller, it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that they will be making profit off of the equipment, and the amount you will see will be appropriately lower.

So much for "how"; everything above regarding prices is spot on. And if you have a D300, since they have been discontinued, you may have some luck getting a good resale price on that.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #417038 by Kenya See
Just sell your gear on your own, you get more. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #417179 by Rudy Sosa
The only problem with selling on your own is all the con artist out there.  I sold a lens on Craigslist last month and had more fake inquires than legit.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024