New here. Need help choosing camera

9 years 4 months ago #417458 by tj4ndirish
Hi all......

I need help finding a good point and shoot camera for my wife.  She currently has a Fujifilm Finepix S4250.  It takes ok pictures, but she is mainly using her iphone, which takes much better pics.

She's not ready to go full dslr. 

I know that MP's are a factor in choosing as is the digital zoom.  How many pixels is too many, which is the right one?  20.1, 14.2, 16.2?  What zoom should I be looking for? 

Is the Samsung WB35F any good?  What about Canon Power shot SX120?  Like to stay under $200, anymore might as well go low range dslr.

I've bought her 3 cameras in 4 years.  One broke, other took bad pics and then this one!

Help, please.  Thanks. 

9 years 4 months ago #417462 by Office Guy
What is it that you enjoy to photograph? 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417465 by tj4ndirish
I'm sorry, forgot to add that little tidbit.  We are basically taking pictures of our children.  We have an infant and a 3 and 4 year old and a teen.

9 years 4 months ago #417473 by Screamin Scott
Most any will take good images. The key is to know the cameras limitations & feature set. You can use the best DSLR & still get crappy images.... Maybe it's more so a matter of learning the camera...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417582 by effron

Screamin Scott wrote: Most any will take good images. The key is to know the cameras limitations & feature set. You can use the best DSLR & still get crappy images.... Maybe it's more so a matter of learning the camera...

I'll ditto that.....They're all good....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417598 by Tuscan Muse
I think that you should take a look at the Nikon P510.  It's a great camera. 
9 years 4 months ago #417613 by Joves

effron wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: Most any will take good images. The key is to know the cameras limitations & feature set. You can use the best DSLR & still get crappy images.... Maybe it's more so a matter of learning the camera...

:agree:
Yeah I am in this crowd. The problem with any P&S camera will be lag time. This has, and most likely will always be the case in the foreseeable future. Also unless she wants to learn how to use any of the cameras effectively, the results will always be the same, and that is her resorting to using the phone. Which I am willing to be she will use more than the camera, no matter what you get her. The phones anymore are the new Kodak Instatragics in that they are what the majority of people will use. And your wife, with no offense intended, sounds like your everyday pedestrian camera user. 

9 years 4 months ago #417631 by tj4ndirish

Joves wrote:

effron wrote:

:agree:
Yeah I am in this crowd. The problem with any P&S camera will be lag time. This has, and most likely will always be the case in the foreseeable future. Also unless she wants to learn how to use any of the cameras effectively, the results will always be the same, and that is her resorting to using the phone. Which I am willing to be she will use more than the camera, no matter what you get her. The phones anymore are the new Kodak Instatragics in that they are what the majority of people will use. And your wife, with no offense intended, sounds like your everyday pedestrian camera user. 

You are correct, she is a pedestrian camera user, no offense taken.  She'd like to learn more, but it's a matter of finding time to sit and learn.....

My SIL has the Nikon P510 and it takes great pictures. 

On the P&S cameras, can the shutter speed be adjusted?

Thanks everyone for their input.  I do appreciate it

9 years 4 months ago #417633 by Screamin Scott
It can if the camera has manual or shutter priority modes, but care needs to be taken that the other points of the exposure triangle are appropriate for the scene being captured (in other words, enough light that the ISO isn;t too high so as to introduce added noise or the aperture is small enough to capture enough depth of field...)

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #417635 by Stealthy Ninja
Just keep using the phone if IQ is your only issue. You won't see all that much of a difference unless you spend more and get something with a bigger sensor.  Though you might want something that can optically zoom, so if that's the issue, then yes a point and shoot is a lot better than digitally zooming with a  mobile phone.

So if want to get a point and shoot, go for Canon or Sony.

I'd recommend this one which is within your budget:
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889962-RE..._Digital_Camera.html

They also have a Canon S120 now, but that's more expensive.

My family owns the S95 (same model, but a few generations back) it's pretty good, but we (my family) mainly use either our phones, my mirrorless or in extremely important events, my work cameras.
9 years 4 months ago #417647 by stuartsbarbie
I am of the mind to just go for it.  If you are buying a camera almost every year, why not get one that will last.  You will be taking pictures of your children for years to come.  Then after that you will be taking pictures of your grandbabies.  Then after and maybe inbetween all of that you may be taking pictures of other things you find you love to look at.  

Cannon and I am sure others, make DSLR that you don't have to spend a whole paycheck on.  Why not take a look at something like the Cannon EOS Rebel.

Good luck with your search and happy shooting.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417654 by Screamin Scott
Kids, then grandkids ?.... Man any DSLR would be so outdated it wouldn't be funny if it had to last that long. It would likely bite the dust long before any grandkids came along.......

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024