Client removes your logo from photo

9 years 4 months ago #417742 by Steve Zahra
This is purely a hypothetical question.  I guess mainly because I'm finalizing some photos I'm sending to a client this morning and the thought crossed my mind as I was adding my company logo on these photos.  What would you do if a client removed your branding from the photos you provided them?  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417744 by garyrhook
If I decide it matters, I remind the client that, per a signed agreement, they should be sharing only the small version of the images with the watermark intact. Thank you very much.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417745 by Screamin Scott
I'd have language in the contract forbidding that & threaten a lawsuit if they did use the image anywhere with the logo removed

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417747 by effron
Meh, I'd just have Guido and Lucca give them a visit in the wee hours and 'splain why cheating me is NOT such a good idea. Of course as Gary said a kind reminder maybe even PRIOR to an infringement would negate drastic "horse head in the bed" type actions later?......:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417749 by Steve Zahra

garyrhook wrote: If I decide it matters, I remind the client that, per a signed agreement, they should be sharing only the small version of the images with the watermark intact. Thank you very much.

So I'll bite:  how do you determine if it matters?  What is the tipping point from 'doesn't matter' to 'it matters'?  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417752 by Don Fischer
How are they gonna get it off in the first place?

9 years 4 months ago #417761 by Screamin Scott
There are lots of ways, but I'm not going to divulge any & possibly influence someone into doing it... After all, it can be a copyright violation to do so...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417770 by Joves

Don Fischer wrote: How are they gonna get it off in the first place?

With about any program out there. Watermarks are the simplest thing to get off of a photo now.
As stated it should be in your contract that getting rid of the Watermark is a Copyright violation. And you should have what is acceptable usage by the customer of your images. I.E for personal printing, websites, and other purposes outside of commercial use. For commercial shoots you have usage agreements that cover totally different uses, and terms of use for approximate time of use, and so on. And in the case of commercial whether or not you get some form of attribution, or not. For commercial there would be no Watermark on the images.

9 years 4 months ago #417792 by garyrhook

Steve Zahra wrote:

garyrhook wrote: If I decide it matters, I remind the client that, per a signed agreement, they should be sharing only the small version of the images with the watermark intact. Thank you very much.

So I'll bite:  how do you determine if it matters?  What is the tipping point from 'doesn't matter' to 'it matters'?  

That decision is up to the photographer. For me, if it's someone that is a fan, has posted and/or shared my images previously, and I have a good relationship with, I might let it slide. If it's something that I've not gotten a lot of traction on (e.g. when I first started photographing children) I would want the branding and would raise the issue.

You will get all kinds of opinions about watermarks. Me, I think they're useful for building brand awareness, and I want people to know what I do and how well I do it (assuming I do it well). Even if they're not my ideal customer.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417793 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: There are lots of ways, but I'm not going to divulge any & possibly influence someone into doing it... After all, it can be a copyright violation to do so...

+1 what Joves wrote, above.

To elaborate, some folks will remove a watermark badly and not care. A skilled photoshop user can remove a watermark without leaving any obvious trace. Ultimately, the folks that do so really don't care what you want. So it also comes down to how large an image you post, as well as your risk tolerance.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417807 by Steve Zahra
Ok, that makes sound sense :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417841 by H Rocky
:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418023 by Conner
one word: contract

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024