Photography club annual charge

9 years 3 months ago #418655 by Justin
Hi PT,

I'm thinking about joining a photography club that is local and they have yearly dues that are $300.  I was wondering is that pretty normal for a photography club?  I asked what that covers and was told admin fee's and a once per year BBQ.  This club meets once per month, but always in public places that are free.  So that $300 seems a little high to me.  Just checking to see what others have to say about it. 

How much does your club charge you?

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418660 by Joves
Are they even putting out a news letter every month for that? I agree that does sound quite steep for a club that does not even have its own building, or at least some place that they lease. One of the Astronomy Clubs I belonged to was like $50 a year, and we got a news letter, met at a university, and even had refreshments with doughnuts. There is one Meetup group here that seems to do the same thing, and I decided that they were on drugs. To me for a club that has no dedicated place to meet that is way over the value. Besides many photo clubs, and to some extent clubs in general are place where equipment whores meet. We had a couple of those at one astronomy club I was a short timer at, guys who had top of the line gear, but had no clue where anything was in the sky. The one I belonged to the longest had telescope builders, and real astronomers. I suggest you keep looking, or maybe try and start a Meetup Club of your own. 

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #418664 by hghlndr6
That's 5.5X higher than the Boston Camera Club which meets in the same place every week, runs 15 competitions ... both electronic and print ... per year, has an educational program every month, a photo critique meeting every month, a model studio every month, publishes a monthly newsletter, maintains a Web presence, and a bunch of meet-ups all year long.

Keep looking.
9 years 3 months ago #418668 by effron
Agree with above comments, that's way too much. The local club in my area is I believe fifty a year and that's too much,  and I'm also a loner/snob, so I'm not a member.....:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418671 by garyrhook
Ouch!

The local PPA chapter charges $75 to belong to a professional association; it's not just a club. The monthly meetings include educational lectures and cost you $20 each (as a member). There are 10 of them, plus a Christmas Party (varies in $$). Meets at the local camera store which is air conditioned and has a classroom.

It is unclear if that club is good value. I would keep looking. You could also start your own. The organizer doesn't have to be the content deliverer.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418673 by Ian Stone
Ouch!  No way.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418677 by Shadowfixer1
Local clubs in Atlanta area generally run about $25 per year.
9 years 3 months ago #418724 by Randy Shaw
For $300, there should be a rolling bag that comes along with it.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418807 by Ian Stone

Randy Shaw wrote: For $300, there should be a rolling bag that comes along with it.  

LOL  that makes this membership better sounding

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418838 by Sandy Smith Photos
My club charges me $50 per year.  Also I belong to some Meetup groups that don't charge anything.  $300 is just way to much IMO.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418885 by icepics
There's one in a large city that's within an hour of where I live that has dues of I think a couple of hundred or so but they have their own building with wet and digital darkrooms, studios, hold a meeting/event every week, etc. so they have expenses in maintaining the building, bringing in speakers, etc. I think ASMP is more expensive than clubs but it's an organization geared to working photographers and they employ staff and provide professional resources to members, etc.

Most social clubs I know of in my area have dues from maybe $25-50 or so to attend meetings, receive a newsletter, or get benefits like being able to attend an event at a reduced cost as a member. 

Do you know if the club is a registered nonprofit? Depending on what your state requires they may have to turn in a financial report every year so they'd have to account for how they spend $300 per member. I'd find out more about what they offer that justifies their dues because just to attend monthly club meetings that seems awfully high.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419001 by Josh Jofoto

icepics wrote: There's one in a large city that's within an hour of where I live that has dues of I think a couple of hundred or so but they have their own building with wet and digital darkrooms, studios, hold a meeting/event every week, etc. so they have expenses in maintaining the building, bringing in speakers, etc. I think ASMP is more expensive than clubs but it's an organization geared to working photographers and they employ staff and provide professional resources to members, etc.

Most social clubs I know of in my area have dues from maybe $25-50 or so to attend meetings, receive a newsletter, or get benefits like being able to attend an event at a reduced cost as a member. 

Do you know if the club is a registered nonprofit? Depending on what your state requires they may have to turn in a financial report every year so they'd have to account for how they spend $300 per member. I'd find out more about what they offer that justifies their dues because just to attend monthly club meetings that seems awfully high.

That sounds like a great club with some nice amenities.  

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
9 years 3 months ago #419025 by Screamin Scott
My local club charges around $25, but that is only to participate in competitions.... Attending meetings were at no cost...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419048 by Glen Mosley
I'd pass, seems like a lot to be asking for just a year membership

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419291 by J Hemingway
Pass on that one.  Just to much for club fee's if you ask me

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024