What do you suggest I do here? Warning: Drama

9 years 2 months ago #419292 by Linda Duncan
A friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks and just asked me over the holiday if I would be able to help and take photos while at the wedding.  They want additional photos.  They hired a photographers already, and out of respect I asked that they pass my information along to the paid photographer they hired and communicate what they have requested of me, to the other photographer. 

This morning, I've received 2 calls.  1 from my friend stating that they spoke to the hired photographer and "they are okay with this".  Then I just got another call from the actual photographer who was pi$$ed!!  "That is very shady of you to offer to take free photos knowing that another photographer has been hired for this wedding" they said to me.  I tried to explain that this is a friend of mine, who asked me to take a few photos of their wedding.  I didn't pursue this, they came to me.  Then the other photographer made a comment about karma will get me in 2015.  Then hung up.  

Okay :huh:   aside from a healthly dose of unwanted drama this morning.  Before I respond to anyone, I wanted to get some additional options from you.  What would YOU do here?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #419296 by garyrhook
For me

My immediate thought was to clarify to the pro that "I didn't ask, they asked me, and you need to know taht I was immediately uncomfortable with it." But since you tried that, and the "pro" acted rather unprofessionally (I mean, if it's that much of a problem, put a restriction in your contract, right?) you've done all you can do.

Assuming you were invited to the wedding....

Now you tell your friend, "thank you but no. I am oh-so-flattered, but it's not appropriate from a professional level, and honestly, I just want to celebrate your day with you. If I'm working, I can't do that. I love you too much to miss out on such an important event!"

Or some such, right? And don't bring up the mixed-up messages in this little three-way. The pro might have chosen to be conciliatory to his client, and thought by contacting you he could get you to back out without looking like the bad guy.

You did what you could with the schmo-pro, but I wouldn't show up with a camera now. Uh-uh, no.

Again, for me.

Please let us know how events transpire.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #419302 by Don Fischer
If a pro is involved, I would walk away!

9 years 2 months ago #419305 by KCook
I take my camera where ever I like.  But I'm not a "pro" (unless Pro A$$hole counts :silly:  ).

I would make it crystal clear to the couple that I would be shooting candids for my own enjoyment.  Not trying to supply the traditional wedding set shots, that's the pro's job!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
9 years 2 months ago #419335 by Pettigrew
Have you friend be brought up to speed with how the photographer responded and let them know you are there to help where you can, but don't want to cause conflict.  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: ASouthernSky
9 years 2 months ago #419423 by effron
Somebody's been painted into a corner. If it was me, I would leave my gear home and make it clear to the friend this is a no no. She's just trying to get some freebies, and you shouldn't allow yourself to get used like this....My .02 cents only.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #419436 by Sassyii
I did this about 10 years ago, side by side with the pro, who was really ok with it - but I would not do it again. I still take my camera to weddings I am invited to and snap away, (but I don't direct and stay out of the pro's way 100%) but if someone asks specifically again, I would decline and leave the camera at home. It was a lot of work, and in the end a bit unfair to the pro, as we had many shots that were very similar and mine came with no price tag. I ended up providing many digital copies that the pro would have been paid for.

Unfortunately, you have quite a mess now. I think you better let your friend know about the reaction from the pro.....certainly don't want this to become an issue at the wedding. Maybe they need to be sure the pro is going to be professional whether or not you bring your camera.

9 years 2 months ago #419455 by icepics
It doesn't seem like your friend would really need you to take pictures if she's hired a photographer; maybe this is more about knowing you're a photographer and asking you to take some pictures to be part of her special day. 

Maybe it would be best at this point let the friend know how much you appreciate her thinking of you and wanting you to be part of her day but not take pictures during the ceremony and let the so-called pro do what she was hired to do. The photographer's concern might be having someone even accidently get in the way while she's trying to get the photos she needs. I don't think that excuses what seems like unprofessional behavior but that might be at least one reason to not do this. And whoever's officiating at the wedding probably doesn't need more people there taking pictures anyway.

You should probably do what you think will be best as to what to say to your friend; I think I might try to not make a big deal out of it to the friend since they've already hired this photographer and of course will want to have good pictures of their wedding. At most (if at all) maybe take some pictures at the reception (maybe just take a p&s).

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #419492 by Jessa Layton

effron wrote: Somebody's been painted into a corner. If it was me, I would leave my gear home and make it clear to the friend this is a no no. She's just trying to get some freebies, and you shouldn't allow yourself to get used like this....My .02 cents only.....:angry:

:agree:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #419527 by H Rocky
Attend the wedding as a friend and not a photographer. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #419578 by JaneK
+1 and I would let my friend know why

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #419667 by Robert Chen
Sounds like your friend needed to have clearer talk with the photographer they hired.

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #419677 by Linda Duncan

garyrhook wrote: For me

My immediate thought was to clarify to the pro that "I didn't ask, they asked me, and you need to know taht I was immediately uncomfortable with it." But since you tried that, and the "pro" acted rather unprofessionally (I mean, if it's that much of a problem, put a restriction in your contract, right?) you've done all you can do.

Now you tell your friend, "thank you but no. I am oh-so-flattered, but it's not appropriate from a professional level, and honestly, I just want to celebrate your day with you. If I'm working, I can't do that. I love you too much to miss out on such an important event!"

Or some such, right? And don't bring up the mixed-up messages in this little three-way. The pro might have chosen to be conciliatory to his client, and thought by contacting you he could get you to back out without looking like the bad guy.

You did what you could with the schmo-pro, but I wouldn't show up with a camera now. Uh-uh, no.

Again, for me.

Thank you all for your messages.  Very helpful.  Now just to clarify Gary, you are suggesting NOT to speak about the discussion the "Pro", let's just call him "Hired Photographer" and I had.  Correct?   

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #419713 by garyrhook

Linda Duncan wrote:

garyrhook wrote: For me

Again, for me.

Thank you all for your messages.  Very helpful.  Now just to clarify Gary, you are suggesting NOT to speak about the discussion the "Pro", let's just call him "Hired Photographer" and I had.  Correct?   

I am saying that there is no value in further contact with the HP (good point; sorry) after getting raked over the coals, nor any value in relaying events to the bride. I would dance around any detailed explanation (per my comments above) because who wants to cause the bride strife for her special day? The HP is a putz, but we can agree to let it go, right?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #419726 by RobWood
I think it would be wise to ask your friends why they wanted you to take photos, considering that they hired a photographer. (I'm guessing they don't see you as a professional, since it wasn't you they hired.) One thing that seems very common is that friends don't understand that the amount of work is the same, whether you're being paid or not, except that the paid photographer has (or should have) artistic control over each shot. That means that he/she is going to set up each shot as perfectly as possible for his/her lighting and lens, and not for your "snapshot." If it's a portrait, the subjects will be looking at the photographer's lens, and not at yours.

All of that said, I think it's appropriate to take candid shots that the paid photographer isn't being paid to take, whether before or after the wedding. If you want to do this work for free, find out what times/subjects/areas are not under contract, and make it clear to both the photographer and your friends that you will limit your shooting to those.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024