Can you do what the top pros do?

9 years 3 months ago #420547 by Happy-pixel
Have you ever looked at some of the shots the top paid pro's take and say "I can do that"? For example, take a look at the shot that Terry Richardson took of Nicki Minaj for the cover of Rolling Stone.  I don't see what is all that special about this photos.  Do you?  

mypinkfriday.com/news/237063

Don't get me wrong, they are good photos.  You know this guy got paid a grip for this shoot. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420570 by effron
No, I don't like shooting (photos)  people I don't know of. I like feathered wildlife more......:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: JeremyS
9 years 3 months ago #420580 by Hassner
Ouch! It looks like he was not set up and they gave him 30 seconds to get his shot.

"Stand there, smile" - Straight flash. - "Thanks"

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420590 by Joves

Hassner wrote: Ouch! It looks like he was not set up and they gave him 30 seconds to get his shot.

:rofl:
Ummm Hassner that is what this idiot is famous for harsh crappy flash use, and IMO general bad photography.
Why Yes I could easily do what that hack can do. All I have to do is use my popup flash set to full power, with a wide aperture, and viola it is good.

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #420613 by Stealthy Ninja
Terry Richardson is a uber-hipster hack. I really don't like him or his work.

He's got himself in the celebrity circle somehow and has become a major player (in their eyes) and every celeb wants to be cool and popular so they think he's awesome... anyway...

Typical day in the Richardson Studio (probably in Hollywood California)
Terry's secretary who he probably sexually harrasses a lot: President's coming Terry, what you gonna wear?

Terry: Break out the best blue flannel shirt! STAT!

9 years 3 months ago #420642 by Big Kevin

Joves wrote:

Hassner wrote: Ouch! It looks like he was not set up and they gave him 30 seconds to get his shot.

:rofl:
Ummm Hassner that is what this idiot is famous for harsh crappy flash use, and IMO general bad photography.
Why Yes I could easily do what that hack can do. All I have to do is use my popup flash set to full power, with a wide aperture, and viola it is good.

Well then my high school guidance counselor needs to be kicked!  I just Googled this guy and he makes a grip!  

9 years 3 months ago #420652 by garyrhook
Terry Richardson is a talentless clown. Find someone worth considering before you ask yourself that question.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420704 by Mason Katz
Regardless of his talent, I'd like to have his jobs!

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420724 by Baydream
Like most artists in any genre, one well placed connection and the world beats a path to your door. Some is hard work but some is pure dumb luck. Once the door is open, hipsters think everything you do is worth a grip.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420729 by John Landolfi

Mason Katz wrote: Regardless of his talent, I'd like to have his jobs!

So, for money, you'd do what he does?:)

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420754 by Don Fischer

garyrhook wrote: Terry Richardson is a talentless clown. Find someone worth considering before you ask yourself that question.

Don't have any idea who this guy is but he sell's his photo's for more than I do!! Of course I don't do portrait's. Every body it seem's like's to claim a style, that's his. I wouldn't give him a quarter for it but someone is paying him fairly well!

9 years 3 months ago #420807 by garyrhook

Don Fischer wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Terry Richardson is a talentless clown. Find someone worth considering before you ask yourself that question.

Don't have any idea who this guy is but he sell's his photo's for more than I do!! Of course I don't do portrait's. Every body it seem's like's to claim a style, that's his. I wouldn't give him a quarter for it but someone is paying him fairly well!

There are many folks in this world that make money doing a poor job at whatever it is that they do. I do not wish to be one of those people.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420838 by Don Fischer
Don't blame you Gary. If I took those I'd mostly delete them.

9 years 3 months ago #420856 by Karen Comella
All you need to do is go to the Bill Crosby school of photography :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420861 by stuartsbarbie
 I too prefer the fuzzy, furry, winged and wild.  If I could sell my work enough to support what I do with my camera I probably would.  I am not one to do things just for the "glory" of doing them.  That being said, I think I would be picky about who I sell them to.  I would want my photos to be treated well B)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024