Camera got dunked in pacific ocean today. Am I completely screwed?

9 years 3 months ago #420598 by Greg Friedman
I just got this camera in December and I had my 70-200mm lens on it. I was coming back in from taking photographs of the Long Beach coast in my kayak and just as I was getting close to the beach my phone rang.  I stopped paddling and allowed myself to not pay attention to how the kayak was positioned towards the potential waves.  As I was talking, you guessed it, a rogue wave came up and rocked me good.  My first instinct was to grab my camera, however in doing so, I lost balance and it flipped over! @#$%$%%!!!!

Before it flipped I was able to grab my camera strap, but the camera with the 70-200mm lens went for a 15-20 second dunk in the ocean before I was able to flip the kayak back over and put the camera out of the water.  

In the process of the kayak flipping, I let go of my new iPhone 6 plus (7 weeks old) and the 24-70mm lens that was in a lens bag only, is still MIA too.  Actually so is my tripod, which I have no idea why the heck I even brought that.  

I feel sick to my stomach.  When I got to shore, I removed the battery and memory card.  Is there any chance that this camera or lens might be still in workable condition?  Is there anything I can do to it right now? I've done some Google searches and people are talking about putting in dry rice around a wet memory card, will that work here with a complete camera and lens?

Thank you so much for any advice you can give me.  

Greg 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420607 by JeremyS
That sounds really really really rough...

Your best shot is to not turn the camera on, do not operate it and the same with the lens, bring it into a shop asap and tell them the situation. They will be forced to clean everything in an attempt. With salt water being so corrosive, the camera could be lost. The lens could be lost as well depending on how much the water got into it. You'll never know unless you bring it into a shop though. 

9 years 3 months ago #420610 by Adam Nagle
OUCH!  You might want to have a couple stiff drinks before you hear the probable fait of your gear.   Sorry, no good news from me.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420611 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh, you're probably screwed to be honest. HOWEVER there's always that slim chance too. Do what Takennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn said.
9 years 3 months ago #420623 by Randy Shaw
WOW, man that sucks.  Sorry for your lose.  Good luck with that.  +1 with above from Takennn

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420637 by stuartsbarbie
Oh my goodness.  I am so sorry to hear that.  I would take it to a shop and get an estamite of the damages.  You might be better off buy a new one.  OUch Ouch Ouch.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420648 by Ian Stone

Takennnn wrote: That sounds really really really rough...

Your best shot is to not turn the camera on, do not operate it and the same with the lens, bring it into a shop asap and tell them the situation. They will be forced to clean everything in an attempt. With salt water being so corrosive, the camera could be lost. The lens could be lost as well depending on how much the water got into it. You'll never know unless you bring it into a shop though. 

:agree:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420650 by garyrhook
OMG. Who the hell answers the phone while they're kayaking? I don't mean to seem unsympathetic, because I am sympathetic to the loss and destruction of $5000 worth of camera equipment. But there's a serious lesson here.

Why can't people turn their damn phone off?

If it's important, they'll call back.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420675 by ThatNikonGuy
Have a pro look at what you have left, they will be able to tell you when they look at your gear. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420698 by Screamin Scott
Live & learn....I'd say they are toast.  Hope they were insured against accidental damage.... I would have never taken them out into the Ocean myself, unless I had an underwater case for them, but I doubt they make a case for the lens to fit in though....  

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420700 by Mason Katz
WOW that is so unfortunate.  Good luck with recovering your gear.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420715 by Rob Conley
:pinch:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420721 by Baydream
If you are not a professional, talk to your home owners insurance agent, Maybe - maybe not. Professionals need separate coverage. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420789 by Shadowfixer1
If it had been fresh water you might have had a chance. Saltwater is no shot. Mark this one up to a lessoned learned.
9 years 3 months ago #420806 by garyrhook

Baydream wrote: If you are not a professional, talk to your home owners insurance agent, Maybe - maybe not. Professionals need separate coverage. 

Really unlikely. Homeowners' insurance doesn't come "boneheaded move" rider.

If the new device had a store-provided "spills and drops" policy, perhaps.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024