Shutter count question

9 years 3 months ago #422999 by Tim Burg
I was reading that manufactures will test cameras shutters to see approximate how many times they could be actuated before they crapped on you.  This has me wondering are there peeps out there who's cameras have exceeded what the manufacture stated their shutter was good for?  

Also... I was trying to find like a world record of a camera with the most shutter actuations, but came up empty handed.  Anyone know that one?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423005 by Screamin Scott
Here is a link to a database on shutter life expectancy that lists any number of popular cameras. It was compiled by someone who queried people on how many activations their camera has or had (if it crapped out on them)

www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423006 by garyrhook

Tim Burg wrote: I was reading that manufactures will test cameras shutters to see approximate how many times they could be actuated before they crapped on you.  This has me wondering are there peeps out there who's cameras have exceeded what the manufacture stated their shutter was good for?  

It's called "mean time between failure" or MTBF. Almost anything mechanical should be measured for this value. Hard drives are a good example, too.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423015 by Vahrenkamp
Any digital cameras with anywhere near 1,000,000 shutter clicks?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423031 by effron

Vahrenkamp wrote: Any digital cameras with anywhere near 1,000,000 shutter clicks?

Let's see?...If you shoot about 550 shots a day, the camera would be nearing a million shutter slaps in about five years. None of my bodies are in the running.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423062 by Jerrid

effron wrote:

Vahrenkamp wrote: Any digital cameras with anywhere near 1,000,000 shutter clicks?

Let's see?...If you shoot about 550 shots a day, the camera would be nearing a million shutter slaps in about five years. None of my bodies are in the running.....:P

When you think about sports photographers or even wedding photographers who have owned their cameras for a number of years, this is possible. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423063 by effron
Pros don't keep bodies long enough to put a million clicks on them. Possible, is not probable.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423097 by garyrhook
Huh. I"m only averaging 90 shots per day.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423112 by Garbo
17k in 2 years on mine, 1,000,000 would take a few years.  lol 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423183 by Joves

effron wrote: Pros don't keep bodies long enough to put a million clicks on them. Possible, is not probable.....;)

:agree:
Yeah pretty much my thinking as well. For many of the upper end sports shooters, they have more than one body, and lens combination, and they get new bodies with just about every new model release. Other pros such as wedding will maybe for some keep a body up to 3, or 4 years anymore. So either group may hit the approximated shuuter life, or exceed it, but not by a whole lot.
My D300 may have a whole 20K if I am luck on it, or slightly more. Though the body does look like it should have a couple of million. Now there may be some film cameras with major shutter counts on them. But with digitals they do not generally get used nearly as long as the film cameras did.

9 years 2 months ago #423275 by Chris Curran
I don't keep day to day track of how many photos I've taken.  I suspect, 1 million shots won't come from my camera.  You'd need to just constantly lay down on your shutter button every day.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024