Going on vacation and bringing just camera and ONE lens, which lens would you bring?

9 years 2 months ago #423067 by Photo Junky
I'm so happy for 2015.  We have 2 trips planned this year and I've promised my wife that I would not bring all my gear.  I've decided to bring just my D300 and one lens attached to it.  I'm not sure which I'll bring, and that is what I'm hoping to get figured out.  I'm even thinking that I might pick up a new lens.  

Nikon 18-200mm
Sigma 50-500mm (concerned this might be too big of a lens)
Tamron 18-270mm

What would lens would you bring?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423078 by effron
Tammy 18-270 would be my choice.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423080 by Miss Polly
That Sigma is a big lens, i would go with the 18-270mm Tamron also 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423082 by Don Fischer
I'd pick the 18-270 too. 

9 years 2 months ago #423090 by garyrhook
Um, yeah :agree:

The Nikon or the Tamron.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423103 by Happy Snapper
+1  Nikon or Tamron 

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423117 by KCook
If the destination is a big city with tall buildings I'd take my Sigma 10-20.  But for most trips my choice would be my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 2 months ago #423130 by Zeberk

KCook wrote: If the destination is a big city with tall buildings I'd take my Sigma 10-20.  But for most trips my choice would be my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

Kelly Cook

How do you like that 17-50mm; any caveats about the lens? 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423166 by KCook
With my Tamron 17-50 the AF in Liveview is funky, basically unusable.  But the phase detect AF with the viewfinder is fine.  And I rarely use LV, so this is my favorite lens.  IQ is a little soft at f/2.8, plenty sharp by f/4 (which beats my kit lenses).

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 2 months ago #423205 by garyrhook
$0.02 more:

You do realize that those lenses are essentially the same, right? Granted the Sigma is longer, but still, all long range zooms. And as stated, the Nikon or Tamron are good choices for vacationing.

That said, a 24-70 f/2.8 or even the Nikon 24-120 f/4 might be worth considering. All of your zooms are rather slow.
I also like the idea of the 17-50: something wide angle would be a good complement. Not to mention smaller.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423217 by Ian Stone
Well the D300 is a crop sensor so that 17-50mm will essentially be 25.5-75mm.  That would be a nice lens to have for this trip you speak of.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423221 by garyrhook

Ian Stone wrote: Well the D300 is a crop sensor so that 17-50mm will essentially be 25.5-75mm.

Argh....

No, it won't. It doesn't work that way. It is mathematically and geometrically not the same thing. A pox on the stupid marketing people that thought it would help to fob this inaccuracy off onto the unsuspecting (albeit ignorant) public.

If you must make a comparison, then please precisely indicate that the field of view on a crop sensor camera with a scale factor of 1.5 is equivalent to the field of view that would get from a 25.5 - 75 mm lens used on a full-frame sensor. For a sensor with a factor of 1.6, the scale changes again.

How about we just stop making the comparison and think in terms of geometry. The geometry of a lens does not change when moved to cameras with different size sensors. What does change is the imaging area (it's smaller) and the depth of field (because, you know, math).

For these reasons it is impossible to create the exact same shot on two cameras with different sized sensors. Couldn't we just stop trying compare apples to oranges?

One good thing about mirrorless: they don't suffer the persistence of this idiotic falsehood.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423222 by Ian Stone
:beerbang:  well that makes sense, thanks for clarifying :goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423261 by Harrison J
+2 for the Tamron 18-270mm 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423290 by Jason Oldman
Put me down for the Tamron as well.  Really anything between 15-85mm would be mostly used by me. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024