Flash equipment recommendations

9 years 2 months ago #423283 by Cory J
Morning guys -

What do you have in terms of flash equipment?  Speedlights, umbrellas, softboxes, triggers, etc.?

List anything that is related to flash equipment.  This is an area I don't have much gear and would like to start picking up some new stuff.  

Thanks in advance.  

-Cory

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423288 by effron
It depends on what you desire to photograph. I own a couple speedlights, some reflectors and triggers and rarely use them as I would rather get outdoors. My advice, don't start buying stuff because you think you might need it......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423294 by JeremyS
I have one flash and another in the mail right now. 

I bought my first flash because I wanted to get my foot in the door with flash photography. Great step, once you've learned it all you can start building on your lights. 

I also have a shoot through umbrella and a lightstand, going to be buying another lightstand with a softbox shortly. 

I believe that the best way to buy flash equipment is buy them as you need them. I found I want to do some more environmental portraits, where the person is just as important as my background, so show more about that person than they themselves can show. So I'm buying a second flash to show the background more than I'd be able to otherwise. 

9 years 2 months ago #423326 by Mike Ayrouth
2- SB600, 1 24x24" softbox, 1 small octobox, Rogue Flash Benders 

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #423334 by KCook
Not much:

Yongnuo YN465 speedlight (Canon TTL) - next time I will get one with a proper LCD on the back for the controls.

Flashpoint II (captive Adorama brand) 320M monolight - no "next time", this light is a terrific value.

4 light stands - man oh man, is it ever easy to get a stand that is too wimpy!

Speedlight to stand adapters by CowboyStudio and Eggsnow - the Eggsnow one is better built, but still falls short of perfection.

Boom arm and adapter (for fitting to a stand) by Neewer - this thing is a brute, overpowers most of my wimpy stands.

RF trigger set by CowboyStudio - next time I will try Phottix.

Speedlight snoot by Fotodiox - this thing is made out of paper!  But it does work.

7" reflector for the Eggsnow speedlight adapter - Elinchrom brand, I picked up a used one for much less than the new price.

7" barndoors for the 7" reflector - Flashpoint brand, I use this modifier more than my softbox or umbrellas.

24x36 Flashpoint II softbox - a brute, next time I will get a 8-sided box that is easy to fold up.

CowboyStudio 31" shoot-thru umbrella - nothing to brag about, but it was dirt cheap to buy.

CowboyStudio 43" reflecting umbrella - nicer made than the 31" , but a little small for a reflecting umbrella.

Happily I can jury rig the Eggsnow speedlight adapter to work with most of my continuous CFL and LED lights.  So I can also use all of the modifiers for that adapter with continuous.  Which is important to me, about half of my studio "jobs" use the continuous lights instead of flash.

thatsallfornowKelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024