Advancements in film and film cameras?

9 years 2 months ago #426495 by Joves
:goodpost:
I always liked shooting with Tri-X. But I also am not anti-film, but I am now pro digital. For me the processing is so much simpler that you could not pay me enough to ever use film again. I too have given up being on the wheel when it comes to buying the next great camera. I have decided to use the one I have till it dies, and then move up. Digital much like film is leveling off some on the improvement front. Every new model only has incremental improvements, and most of those seem to be focused on video, which just shows that they are at a bottleneck. So I am happy with what I have, and that is all that counts. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
9 years 2 months ago #426503 by RobWood
I would say that I'm a tiny bit nostalgic when I think of all of the print film I shot over my lifetime, and I still have all of my analog gear - just can't seem to let it go.

What I'm not nostalgic about is the cost. Going on an assignment, especially covering an event, often required shooting 10 - 15 rolls of 36-exposure film every day. That's only 360 - 540 shots per day: modest by digital standards. But the cost? Film + processing into slides = roughly $30 per roll.

Then finding out if I got the shots the magazine needed could not wait until I got back, because there's no re-doing an event. So, rushing to the nearest film processor to drop off the film, then rushing back to the event, then sweating the results, then rushing back to the processor...that is a world I happily say farewell to.

Rob

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #426509 by McBeth Photography
Yeah, I understand the whole discussion about the cost of processing and that is valid, which is why I develop 90% of my film myself...this takes pain out of the wallet.

There are some very interesting things that I've noticed the last couple of years since I've been shooting mostly film. One is that the number of people asking me to shoot their events for cheap or free (not that I ever did them for cheap or free) has gone to less than zero. I think it is because people remember the cost associated with film photography and when they want a portrait or a print they come with cash in hand.

It is also kinda fun to see the look on some peoples faces when I load up a roll of medium format film in my old Voigtlander folding camera and put it on the tripod, I then pull out my little Kodak series VI filter kit and put it together with the hood and place it on the camera, then screw in the cable release and set the focus...by this time, people are starting to ask about the camera, how it works, asking to take a pic of the camera or me and the camera. I've sold a small number of prints just from the curiosity that is generated when they see the old camera being used. I have also had one fella try to tell me that I could take better pics if I got a Nikon V1 mirrorless camera like his, I didn't have time to explain how big a 6x9 negative really is, lol. ;)

It is what it is.
9 years 2 months ago #426542 by McBeth Photography

RobWood wrote: I would say that I'm a tiny bit nostalgic when I think of all of the print film I shot over my lifetime, and I still have all of my analog gear - just can't seem to let it go.

What I'm not nostalgic about is the cost. Going on an assignment, especially covering an event, often required shooting 10 - 15 rolls of 36-exposure film every day. That's only 360 - 540 shots per day: modest by digital standards. But the cost? Film + processing into slides = roughly $30 per roll.

Then finding out if I got the shots the magazine needed could not wait until I got back, because there's no re-doing an event. So, rushing to the nearest film processor to drop off the film, then rushing back to the event, then sweating the results, then rushing back to the processor...that is a world I happily say farewell to.

Rob

I'm with you Rob, if I did your type of work I would be all digital. But since I have a decent day job I do photography only as a hobby, or maybe even my therapy, lol.  I do an event once in a while where I'll use my D200, but that type of shooting is appealing to me less and less lately. :)

It is what it is.
9 years 2 months ago #426577 by Don Fischer
Nice photo!

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
9 years 2 months ago #426579 by Don Fischer
I was just thinking. With the cost involved in film photography, how much less expensive can you sell an 8x10 for by doing it with digital? How about a 16x20? 

9 years 2 months ago #426585 by McBeth Photography

Don Fischer wrote: I was just thinking. With the cost involved in film photography, how much less expensive can you sell an 8x10 for by doing it with digital? How about a 16x20? 

Well there has been quite a learning curve learning to shoot and develop my own film, but that is starting to taper off now. So lots of time invested.

Printing however is a different discussion because it really isn't comparing apples to apples. I'm gearing up to do true optical silver gelatin prints, until that time I'm having Blue Moon Camera and Machine in PDX do my printing (THEY'RE AWESOME!) I've discovered something, they're are people out there that are looking to buy traditional silver gelatin prints, and usually they have been looking for quite a while, when they find something that they like they will always pay more than a scanned print. I always figure 2x the printing cost just to keep the math easy. ;)   http://www.bluemooncamera.com/CustomDarkroom.php

It is what it is.
9 years 2 months ago #426618 by icepics
As far as pricing photos, it's not so much if it was done digitally or from film, it's the value of the work and what goes into it - talent and know-how, time spent in training and learning and developing skills, etc. The pricing for example for prints for juried exhibits is for my time and talent, not just for the piece of paper and ink or gloss. It's like the work I've done in my career in early child development, I wasn't getting paid for just looking at a kid, I was paid for my expertise and education and ability to do an assessment and offer suggestions and techniques, etc. etc.

I agree a silver print may be priced accordingly since it can take more time or work to do, sort of like having custom work done, although I've been able sometimes to crank out prints fairly efficiently, just depends. (Ever see the picture of Weegee developing pictures out of the trunk of his car? lol) I too think it was different for anyone who worked in photography doing their own developing than for those of us who do it as a sideline.

Thanks for the Blue Moon link. Costs of developing aren't necessarily high, I think The Darkroom's basic price is $10 and goes from there if you want higher res scans, etc.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024