Auschwitz: Drone video of Nazi concentration camp

9 years 2 months ago #423937 by Garbo
WOW...

"Drone video shows the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp as it is today - 70 years after it was liberated by Soviet troops. The camp in Poland is now maintained as a World Heritage Site and is visited by thousands of tourists and survivors every year. Auschwitz was the largest camp established by the Germans during World War II. More than a million people - the vast majority of them Jews - died there between 1940, when it was built, and 1945, when it was liberated by the Soviet army.

Railway tracks into Auschwitz-Birkenau - Trains filled with victims from throughout occupied Europe arrived at the camp almost every day between 1942 and the summer of 1944.

Ruins of wooden huts at Birkenau - Birkenau (or Auschwitz II) was erected in 1941 solely as a death camp, the wooden huts are now in ruins with only brick fireplaces and chimneys remaining.

Entrance to Auschwitz I -The wrought-iron sign over the entrance bears the words Arbeit Macht Frei - "Work sets you free".

Auschwitz I - The brick-built buildings were the former cavalry barracks of the Polish Army.

Courtyard between blocks 10 and 11 at Auschwitz I - Block 11 was called "the Block of Death" by prisoners. Executions took place between Block 10 and Block 11 and posts in the yard were used to string up prisoners by their wrists."

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424013 by Cliff
Loose of words and indescribable emotional thoughts that go through my head watching this.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424533 by Alan Nunez
That is emotive. Nice use of the drone!

9 years 2 months ago #424539 by Kayce
Emotionally moving.  I agree, these drones will change how we photograph the world.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424541 by Scotty
Oddly enough I had family members die in the holocaust (I did not know them, distant relatives), and I'm buying a drone this spring for photo/video adventures.  Glad someone did this.  People need to remember what happened so it can never happen again.  Great video.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424543 by Kayce

Scotty wrote: Oddly enough I had family members die in the holocaust (I did not know them, distant relatives), and I'm buying a drone this spring for photo/video adventures.  Glad someone did this.  People need to remember what happened so it can never happen again.  Great video.

+1  My thoughts too

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424600 by One Wish
Well the power behind drones and why they are so popular is they give such a dramatic difference in perspective.  Which is why something like this video, which has a topic that evokes plenty of emotion on it's own, becomes supercharged with an aerial view as shown.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424691 by ThatNikonGuy
Good comment One Wish, I couldn't agree more!  I see more of these sort of video's coming to the surface in the future.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424725 by Owen
Impressive and sad at the same time.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424736 by Conner

Scotty wrote: Oddly enough I had family members die in the holocaust (I did not know them, distant relatives), and I'm buying a drone this spring for photo/video adventures.  Glad someone did this.  People need to remember what happened so it can never happen again.  Great video.

Same here, which one you looking at? 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424793 by Ruby Grace
Amazing coverage, the music and history here are so moving.  What size cameras can be carried on these drones?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424815 by Scotty

Conner wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Aerial-Drone-Quadcopter/dp/B00AGOSQI8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423076076&sr=8-7&keywords=drone            This one.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424861 by Ottis

Ruby Grace wrote: Amazing coverage, the music and history here are so moving.  What size cameras can be carried on these drones?

Most of these will hold some sort of GoPro style camera on them. Some of the larger ones will carry your DSLR, but get ready to shell out some big bucks.  These are mostly for the pro's. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424955 by Dave Worton

Scotty wrote:

Conner wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Aerial-Drone-Quadcopter/dp/B00AGOSQI8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423076076&sr=8-7&keywords=drone            This one.

Have you seen their new one that just came out last month?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #425144 by Glen Martin
History meets modern technology and delivers a fantastic view point that shows just how evil man has been. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024