Re-purposing old Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Pentax on newer Nikon DSLR?

9 years 1 month ago #424036 by Luca
I just won a box of old Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Pentax film lenses on eBay and figuring most will be just for my collection, however wondering which of these might be used on my Nikon D7000?   The seller is a widow who doesn't know what all these lenses are, just that there were 14 lenses in the above brands.  I got these for pretty good price ($150+ shipping).  

Thoughts?  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #424048 by effron
I think the Nikon aIs will snap onto the D7000, but won't meter or focus of course. Don't expect too much from a "box" of lenses. Any macros, get a set of extension rings and have fun....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #424070 by icepics
I have a digital Ricoh that can use the same lenses that work on some of my film rangefinders so I use older lenses. I was thinking as Ernesto said the Nikon might work manually. Later Canon could be compatible with their digital but the earlier Canon FD mount is a different size. There are adapters but I don't know how well they work (supposedly more inexpensive aluminum ones tend to get stuck).

There are film photographers that use Minolta and Pentax (and Canon and Nikon too) so there may be interest in them if you don't keep them all.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #424096 by Joves
Yeah Ernesto is correct in that the AI lenses will work on your D7000. I thought that model had the non-CPU lens option. If it does then you can program in any AI lenses so the camera will know that you are using a manual lens. Now you need to know the difference between AI, and non/pre AI lenses.
Here is what an AI lens looks like on the mount. You will also note that the Indexing Tabs have drilled holes. Note the notch on the lens bodies base at f/16, this is the important part.

This is the pre AI. The Indexing Tabs are solid, and the base is flat all the way around. These will damage your camera unless you get them modified.

As for the Pentax lenses they are standard PK lenses, unless they are screw in lenses. So they are usable on Pentax digitals. The Minolta lenses on the other hand I doubt that they can be used on the new cameras, and are pretty much shelf art.
Congrats on a good buy.

9 years 1 month ago #424117 by GWS
You could always sell some of the lenses you need.  Sounds like you got a good deal and could make some profit from this deal. 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #424120 by Screamin Scott
As long as the older Nikon lenses are not Pre-Ai, they will mount & meter on our camera. If they are Pre-Ai & have not been modified, they can damage your camera. As for the other brands, even if you can find adapters, trying to use them on a D7000 will be a PITA

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #424144 by EOS Man

Screamin Scott wrote: As long as the older Nikon lenses are not Pre-Ai, they will mount & meter on our camera. If they are Pre-Ai & have not been modified, they can damage your camera. As for the other brands, even if you can find adapters, trying to use them on a D7000 will be a PITA

:agree:

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #424256 by Stanly
Out of curiosity, what specific lenses did you get?

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #424303 by Luca
Oh, cool!  Thanks for all the feedback PT.  As far as what is in the box, I just know brands and number of lenses and that they all look "Like New".  As mentioned, it's a widow just clearing out her old husbands stuff.  She told me that he was very careful and always prized his photography collections.    So, it should be coming this week.  We'll see! 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #424444 by Jessy Page
You might have a nice collection on it's way to you!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024