Getting new photography gear from Crowdfunding?

9 years 2 months ago #424517 by Mason Katz
Really?  Photographers are asking for donations to upgrade their gear?  They sure are, and there a number of them:  www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=search&te...addterm=photographer

So, who wants to give me $4000 for a new camera?  :silly:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424521 by Alan Nunez
I'll take $5k if anyone is give away cash....Really this is borderline begging for money. Why not just sell some prints?

9 years 2 months ago #424529 by garyrhook
O. M. G.

Now, excuse me while I go put together a beg-a-thon.

Sheesh.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424538 by Stanly
What is more shocking is that people are actually giving them $$. 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #424572 by effron
What ever became of the tin cup, or "will werk 4 food" cardboard sign?....:whistle:

btw Mason, the check's in the mail!.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424587 by Screamin Scott
Pathetic...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424657 by One Wish
:blink:  Seriously? :dry:   Come on, get a job like the rest of us

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424690 by ThatNikonGuy
This is ridiculous!  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424694 by Joves

Stanly wrote: What is more shocking is that people are actually giving them $$. 

:agree:
Which just proves to me that stupid people are breeding far too much.
They way I look at it is if you are not selling enough prints, or getting enough jobs to afford new gear, then you do not deserve new equipment. To me this is more proof that we are becoming an entitlement society, that thinks we deserve things, but do not have to work for them. I see links to Go Help Me Be Lazy sites all the time on what is becoming Begslist. It seems that having an actual work ethic is gone.

9 years 2 months ago #424717 by Miss Polly
I have no non sarcastic response to this.   :blink:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424735 by Conner
OMG  Come on people it's not that bad.

Okay joking!  This is messed up!  Don't these people have any conscience? 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #424740 by Stealthy Ninja
Mmmm I don't see much wrong with this. People get photoshoots and stuff for free (depends on what they donate, see this one :  www.gofundme.com/gwyfrk ) and if they like the person's work, then why not?

No worse than a groupon offer or whatever and the person gets some new gear out of it.

It's 2015, times change.

This guy though:  www.gofundme.com/kallizm

Photoshoots for FREE?! Screw you buddy, you're devaluing photography.

This guy too:  www.gofundme.com/btvwh8 (seems to be doing stuff for free or really cheap).

SO yeah, depends how it's done IMHO.
9 years 2 months ago #424748 by Eliffman
These are 3 examples, yet so many others are taking advantage of it just like the welfare system here.  U.S.A. is a breeding ground for lazy people who are afraid to get off their butts and work for something!  So disappointing at times.  My father worked till he was 88 years old.  Not because he had too, because he wanted too. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #425955 by Jakov Barnes
:dry:   No comment at all.

Only in America :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #425979 by Kevin W. E.
I agree that this is a lazy way of funding your gear. :S

The thing is, the people who donate are the real culprits here. If nobody donated then this idea would quickly die. As long as people have the money to toss around and fund these crazy scams the idea will thrive.

I think those who have the extra cash feel like they have done a good deed by donating to those less fortunate, but the question is: Are these people less fortunate, or just looking for a free ride?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024