Getting started back up, how to find the motivation

9 years 2 months ago #425836 by Carry
What started out as a photography break for my pregnancy turned into a 2 year break.  During this time my D700 hasn't been used at all.  All my photos I have taken have been of my daughter and using only my Sony compact camera.  

Have you ever taken such a long break and find it tough to get motivated to get out?  I want to take photos, but always seem to come up with an excuse as to why I can't get out.  

Also, while asking questions.  If a camera hasn't been used for so long, is there any recommended maintenance needed?  

Carry 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #425859 by Carlos
Sometimes is best just to get out and start snapping away.  

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #425868 by RobWood
Hi Carry,

I agree with Carlos: Open a window and start shooting. Here's a motivational link:

Great D700 user's guide: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/users-guide/

D700 maintenance: Ordinarily, there's not much maintenance to do on the user end of things. If you take a photo and you're happy with the result, then your camera is fine. The main thing I would want to look at after 2 years is dust. Take a shot of a nice clear blue sky, then zoom in 100% and look at every bit of it in your favorite editing program. Even tiny specks of dust will show up as dark circles against a bright blue sky. Cleaning dust off your sensor can be a tricky enterprise, and even Nikon says "Don't touch it!" That said, here's an excellent article on this:

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Good luck!

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #425881 by effron
I took nearly a twenty year break. Working to feed the family and a few other things took over.  Both sons educated, working for others became nauseating and this digital thing just pulled me back. New things and good weather motivate me.....and coffee......;)

btw Nikon is crazy, I clean my sensors all the time.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #425900 by Carry
Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!  

So would you all recommend sending in the camera to be professionally cleaned? 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #425923 by Jakov Barnes
Try being out of the game for 11 years!  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #425945 by RobWood
Give it a good workout first, then look closely at the images. It may be fine.

Carry wrote: Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!  

So would you all recommend sending in the camera to be professionally cleaned? 

9 years 2 months ago #425975 by Kevin W. E.
I took almost a 3 year break after my K10 died and the economy was so messed up I didn't want to spend the money on new gear or fixing my camera. I simply put everything to the side and weathered the storm only using my old Kodak Z885 PS camera.

You can still be creative with your PS, your just limited for options.

Motivation is where you find it.

9 years 2 months ago #425980 by Screamin Scott
My problem isn't getting motivated.... It's getting back up once I down...LOL.... Really, once you start shooting, the inspiration will return. As for dust in the sensor, If the camera was stored properly & didn't have dust when it was put away, there won't be any now.... Get yourself a Gittos "Rocket Blower" as it will take care of all but the most obstinate dust on your sensor...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426028 by JD Imagery
Just get out there and start snapping away, you'll get back in your grove, but first you need to get on the horse.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426095 by Carry
Now did any of you take a workshop or class of some sort to jump start your photography back up?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426234 by Ian Stone
Might I suggest attending a photography walk or a photography Meetup group.  Surrounding yourself with like minded photo peeps will get you into any grove you might have lost.  Thats what works for me when I'm feeling a bit low on motivation.  Get out with others and start snapping away and chatting with others who love photography.  The photography bug is infectous.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426253 by Alan Nunez
Carry, You need to just push yourself and get back out there. I had a break a few years ago and I found it good to go and shoot something completely different to what I was doing before.

9 years 2 months ago #426283 by Kevin W. E.

Carry wrote: Now did any of you take a workshop or class of some sort to jump start your photography back up?  

I would just start shooting.
If you like to read, grab a few books on subjects that you may feel need improvement. Shoot, read, and try to enjoy it.

If you already know the basics, you should be fine.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024