Could video kill photography?

9 years 1 month ago #427650 by Joves
Take a video capture of something, then take a still image. The two modes work in totally different ways. With still photography you have the shutter which essentially freezes the light, and shadows at one point in time, therefore allowing more detail if shot properly. Now go through your video caps frame by frame, and try to find one with as much detail. Since the camera is not using the shutter to freeze the scene, but is just open, and recording it constantly. Video will not come even close to killing the dedicated still camera, or its function in the cameras. The only reason a video looks good and sharp while it is moving, is because our eyes, and brain make it appear so while processing the movement. Stop the motion, and that scene does not look so good.

9 years 1 month ago #427714 by Alan Nunez
I am sure this is the same conversation that photographers had in the 80's. Video is important and will grow as digital media becomes easier to work with (storage and bandwidth). I am sure that 3D will come into the mix soon!

I do not think it will kill it however the dynamic may change.

9 years 1 month ago #427786 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: Take a video capture of something, then take a still image. The two modes work in totally different ways. With still photography you have the shutter which essentially freezes the light, and shadows at one point in time, therefore allowing more detail if shot properly. Now go through your video caps frame by frame, and try to find one with as much detail. Since the camera is not using the shutter to freeze the scene, but is just open, and recording it constantly. Video will not come even close to killing the dedicated still camera, or its function in the cameras. The only reason a video looks good and sharp while it is moving, is because our eyes, and brain make it appear so while processing the movement. Stop the motion, and that scene does not look so good.

Close... but not quite.

Video uses shutter and (progressive shot video) can have as sharp a still frame as photo.  Film cameras (I'm talking movie cameras here) actually shoot a series of photos on a constant role of film.  The rate those frame flow through the camera is called "framerate" and with film is usually 23.976 frames per second (rounded up to 24p for most cameras), for video in PAL countries it's 25fps and in NTSC countries it's 30fps.  25fps and 30fps has to do with electricity frequencies and is to stop that shimmery effect under electric lights.  The amount of light that goes into each frame is also controlled by SHUTTER SPEED (just like with cameras).  This is measured in degrees with film cameras, or on more modern cameras a 1/100 DSLR style number (I get confused with the degrees, so I usually choose the DSLR option).

The problems you're describing is deliberate motion blur that is often deliberately done to give (as you said it) an illusion of smooth motion.  

As a general rule it is good double your framerate on the shutter. For example, here in Hong Kong we shoot in PAL (25 fps) so I shoot with a 1/50 shutter.   I then can adjust aperture to suit the light (not a good idea if you want creative control) or ISO to match the light (not great if you don't want grain) or more to the point, match the LIGHT to the camera settings (this is why films spend a lot of time messing about with lights).  

Alternatively, you can get the saving private ryan look by using a 45 degree shutter (1/192 shutter speed) on 24fps shoot.  This will almost eliminate all motion blur and if you freeze a frame, you'll get much more of a "frozen in time" shot like you would with a DSLR.

So sure, you won't usually be able to grab a still from an action scene if creative motion blur is used (which is pretty normal).  But a video is shot in a very similar way to a photo.  The main issue is RESOLUTION.  

Here's the kicker though. 4K is 8MP.

So properly shot, there's no reason you couldn't shoot a video in 4K.  Take a still from it and print it at least 24x36 inches without too much of an issue.

Now, would I do this myself?  No, not unless requested, because even if I were shooting 4K on a really good camera, it's not the same as shooting a RAW image.  There's ya deal breaker, RAW.  

So yeah, until 4k RAW video is more common I don't see video taking over photography completely.

Also it's much easier to shoot above 8MP if you shoot with a dedicated stills camera.

Lastly, I don't see video as a threat.  Why not embrace it rather than be scared of it?  My photography friend (ex-photography partner, he moved to the USA recently) is getting into video more and more, he's a complete noob, but he can see that diversity is the key.  If you don't like video, just don't use it.  

Could video kill photography eventually? Yes, in theory, but most people aren't going to shoot 4k Raw video just so they can extract some stills from it.
9 years 1 month ago #428483 by Alan Nunez
Nice Post Stealthy Ninja

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024